New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy of takedown rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the movies, when a rifle is going to be used to attempt to assassinate someone, the rifle used is frequently a takedown one, and is taken out of a case and assembled in the scene, just before it is to be used.

Interestingly enough, the takedown rifle in the movies is always a bolt action, at least in any movie I've seen -- never, for example, a Savage 99.

I have no experience with takedown rifles. I do have experience with removable scopes, using Leupold QR rings and bases, and I know that with this mounting system a scope can be removed and then put back on the rifle without changing point of impact.

But what about disassembling and reassembling a takedown rifle? Do such rifles tend to retain accuracy when this is done?

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Takedown rifles can be very accurate. I have a HS Precision takedown in 300 Ultra and 300 Win mag. They are guaranteed to shoot 3 shot 1/2 MOA. It often shoots better than that............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
This Mauser takedown will shoot MOA pretty consistently if it's not disassembled between shots. As a test though, I shot a five shot group - with disassembly and scope removal between each shot. That test group still measured less than 1.5" across at 100 yards.

Needless to say, I'm more than pleased with the accuracy.

With some takedowns, the first shot after assembly is liable to be a 6-12" away from the prior zero. This rifle always seems to be within an inch of the previous zero when re-assembled.

I only have real experience with this one takedown and every rifle is bound to be different in this regard.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Blasers have always been "dead on" after re-assembly. As with any rifle, I do always check them before going hunting.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Blaser. In both departments Quick Release Scope and take down they are dead accurate all the time. I do not even check any more.
The other thing that is amazing for me is that my son shoots right hand and I shoot left hand and you can change from left hand to right hand bolts and you do not have to re zero.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your answers, everyone.

That Mauser is an exceptionally good looking piece.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99 takedowns have a long standing reputation for being less accurate than the solid frames.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blasers work Great! The next takedown I want to see performance on is the new one from Steyr, check their website. It is pricy but out to be superb. The situation is that when they made the SBS-96 action back in the 1990s as the Steyr Scout, they had designed a take down at that time, BUT apparently the lawyers stepped in and squashed the plan, so we had gun cases obviously designed to pack spare barrels and no spare barrels. Imagine a Scout in .308, .358, and 7mm-08, plus maybe .260 Rem? Well, ten years later they are marketing the takedown at last.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
How many times (which movies) have the assassins actually fired these guns (I've seen a few where they just look at a target/hit but don't fire) and did they hit the target?

One thing you always see is that the crosshairs are ALWAYS rock steady on the target even from fairly unsteady rest/sighting positions!

Do take downs hold steadier than any gun I've ever used?? WOW!

homer

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
ForrestB

quote:
scope removal between each shot. That test group still measured less than 1.5" across at 100 yards.

Forrest have you done a barrel take down between each shot test with that Mauser?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That's what I was trying to say. I disassembled the rifle (barrel from action) between each shot, including the removal of the scope, and I got a 1.5" group.

I've only done that test once. I don't want to wear it out. Smiler

All things considered, it's a nice accurate little rifle.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My marlin takedown (45/70) seems to be just as accurate as the factory 1895 I had.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a takedown 98 Mauser and I no longer resight it after re-assembly.

It certainly "shoots where I'm looking".

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've only done that test once. I don't want to wear it out

I understand that. They need not be taken down more than necessary.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there are "takedowns" and there are "takedowns". With my Blaser, with the scope attached to the barrel, the risk of lack of return to zero is minimized. However, with the "interrupted thread" type of takedown, with the scope mounted on the receiver, the risk is maximized. Plus of course, wear is a factor. I understand that HS precision has some kind of wear "take up" now. Having said that, one of the original purposes of takedowns was portability, or the ability to carry a rifle almost in a brief case sized box ala James Bond and his Mannlicher. Modern takedowns like the Blaser also offer multiple calibers, hence the usefullness of a scope mounted on the receiver becomes moot. Just my 2 cents.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1917 take down Sav99 in 250-3000 that 4 months ago, I re threaded a 6mmPPC benchrest take off barrel and reamed it out to 6mmPPC.

It has shot a:
0.1" 3 shot at 50 yards
0.3" 3 shot at 100 yards.

I have only fired ~ 10 rounds with 65 gr bullets that it can stabilize, but I am convinced it is a shooter.

Seafire came over and asked to see it, so I must have already bragged about it here. Sorry, my old mind is slipping.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf, what would you call the Savage, with it's barrel nut and ease of interchangability? Takedown or switchbarrel? I think neither, seeing as headspace needs to be maintained as a separate step which neither of the above systems requires. Just MHO. This discussion arose on another thread. Can't remember where the discussion went.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I had a takedown M99 Savage, and throwing rocks would have been more accurate! But with the scope mounted on the barrel, my little Browning .22 auto with detachable barrel was as accurate as any SA rifle in the same caliber could have been.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
I had a takedown M99 Savage, and throwing rocks would have been more accurate! ..

I have experimented with 0 foot pounds to 1000 foot pounds of torque to tighten the barrel to the receiver, and the 5 foot pounds on my Sav99 takedown and the 5 foot pounds on my 45acp 1903 Turk seem to be enough.

The for end as wrench with the 99 could potentially produce 5 foot pounds if set up right, but mine did not come that way.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote