Find
Notify
Tools

Reblueing a Double
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well in my move to Denver I ended up with water damage on several firearms. Several are simple barreled actions that will just need reblueing and I have about 5 stocks I will need to refinish.

I have an SKB 685 o/u and Fox sxs that have rust on the end of the barrel. I know when I was doing blueing I wouldn't touch double for fear of the salts and heat removing the barrel solder.

Who would you recommend to reblue two sets of barrels?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I would rust blue them with Mark Lee's formula and use the hot water treatment. If you only have a couple of spots to touch up you can use the rust process and cover these spots which will probably match the old finish. If you do the rust bluing in a boiling tank make sure to drill a small vent hole where it want show to allow the pressure to escape.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this before a total re-blue. Fill a tea kettle with water and bring to a high boil. Place the rusted area in the steam for about 10 minutes. Let it flash dry and then cool to room temp. Buff with 0000 steel wool. This will turn the red rust to black oxide and may blend right in.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm no longer set up to blue rust or HOT. But rust blueing is an option I hadn't thought of. I might try Bob's suggestion as well as take a stone to the end to remove most of the rust.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We used a 2 lb coffee can and an electric hot plate to redo guns with this type rust near the end. I find that the Mark Lee solution is similar to the Baker formula which we mixed up years ago. If you have pitting you will need to cut back into clear metal and then apply. The rifle with the muzzle damage is similar to what we had when removing the front sight ramps and rust blue the barrel end area. I blued a few parts last week by using a bread pan from the Dollar store to boil my water. If you have a spot farther up the barrel and can't get it into a tank we used a heavy block of hot alum. and steamed the barrel with a wet rag. It works fine also.

I use the Brownell fine wire stainless wheel and used a 1/3 hp drill motor in a vise to spin the wheel @1800 rpm's. Worked fine!!

Hate to see you leave us down here!!

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote