New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adams & Bennett Barrels
 Login/Join

<SlimL>
posted
Has anyone had any experiance with the A & B barrels that Midway sells? I have a friend thinking about rebarreling an old Mauser to .338-06 or just a .338 Mag. We are just starting to look into it. Thanks for the help as always. Slim

<Puddle>
posted
I have one chambered in 7x57. I like the contour and weight which makes it slightly muzzle heavy. Mine needs two fouling rounds before it settles down. The chambering job was fine.

The price/performance is reasonable and as long as your performance expectations are in line as such, you'll be satisfied.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased one for a large ring in 30-36. I was going to install this on a 09 Argentine action but the threads on this barrel were a VERRY SLOPPY Fit!!!! I returned it to Midway!! I bought a Shilen from Brownells, a perfect fit. I guess you still get what you pay for!!! (or dont pay for) Be Safe.

[This message has been edited by tsturm (edited 11-16-2001).]

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
I think it is a good barrel for the money. But remember you get what you pay for.

3 years ago I used an Adams & Bennett F54 contour blank (Rem varmint contour) to rebarrel a Win 670 from 243 sporter to 308 Win varminter. shoots consistently MOA or less with sierra 168 Matchking and Varget. Chrome Moly blank was $69.00. Works for me! MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
you get what you pay for in barrels.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have paid for 7 A&B barrels, and chambered 2 of them.

I will never chamber another A&B barrel, and the rest of my A&B barrels are for sale.

I am having better luck with Shilen and Lothar for buying barrels that do not look like a file inside.

My last 243 A&B has one fouling shot, 3 holes touching, and then the barrel is copper fouled out to a 2" group.

I have bought surplus Masuers for $50 that had a bore 10 times smother than an A&B barrel.

I consider A&B barrels to be the worst brand there is.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark, if you're honestly interested in selling your barrels let me know (caliber, contour, and price). Thanks!

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Crowkiller>
posted
I have to agree about the appearance of the barrel, mine has huge reamer marks all the way to the muzzle. I brush lapped it (like Barnsness recommends) and it looks a little better. I am going to see how it shoots before I pass judgement.
Crowkiller

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I use Lothar Walter & recommend them to everybody. You can't go wrong

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote