Notify
Tools

Buttplate help needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
Gentlemen,

I need some help locating a suitable steel buttplate for my .30-06 project.

Initially I elected fopr a hard rubber butt plate since the rifle I was emulating had horn on it and in the misguided attempt to save a bit of weight. Now I realize that the project is shaping up too nicely to live with the current plate. What I'd like is a steel plate that has a slight curve to it so as not to materially alter the stock dimensions. One like those on the G33/40's ForrestB posted pics of. Lucky for me the butt is is about 1/4" or so longer than the original so if I were to fit a curved plate it would be near identical when done. Checked my Brownells catalog and the only one I saw was the Dakota. I'm trying to avoid the Neidner style with the point at the heel. And couldn't tell if the Dakota had a point of not.

SDH already steered me to the Fisher grip cap. Need guidance with the butt plate now.

Thanks in advance.

One lesson I've learned is to have a clear mental picture of exactly what you want BEFORE starting to build. Too hard to change midstream.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, there is one made by Treebone Carvings, or something like that, which is curved and has a very slight point in it, not nearly as much as the Neidner.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Why not go back with real horn?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have the horn on the original. In addition to this being a practical hunting rifle I want it to have that custom look. Besides, not sure where to get horn or how to begin to work with it and fit it. Given my desire to complete this rifle by September I think a steel plate is the most practcial yet good looking way to go.

Spencer, any contact info for that plate?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...le=CLASSIC+BUTTPLATE

The point looks very manageable.
As someone who has done a Neidner in the past, let me say that I wish the Treebone would have fit the stock I put the Neidner on.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, Roger Biesen produces the best looking and best priced steel butt plates you can find.

He is about the only one that I could find that makes a beautiful checkered steel, trap door model...and the checkering is done so well that I defy anyone to locate the tip of the screw that holds the spring in place. Last ones that I bought from him were $100.00 plus shipping. He makes them in steel, German Silver and Brass and also supplies matching grip caps. You can get them with or without the trap door, with or without checkering, or in a Skeleton style. He also sells a flip up model that allows drilling the butt to hold spare cartridges.

His plates are so far above the ones sold by Brownells that there really isn’t any comparison.

Customstocks has watched them being made in the Biesen shop and can probably give a far better description than I have.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents.

Rick, do you have any contact info for Roger?

Can I swing by your house and check out yours? Just Kidding.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
In case you want to try horn some other day:

Jeff's Outfitters

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tiggertate,

If I can't find the steel plate I want I will think hard about one of these. Certainly less expensive than I thought.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Thanks Gents.

Rick, do you have any contact info for Roger?

Can I swing by your house and check out yours? Just Kidding.

Yes you can.

Do yourself a favor and check out Roger’s products before considering any others.

Just to show you what kind of guy he is, I sent him too much money for shipping one time and he threw in an extra grip cap to bring us even.

I cannot say enough nice things about his products and his way of treating his customers.

Web site:
http://www.biesen.com

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'd consider the Biesen buttplate and matching grip cap. Here's a set on my 416:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zir,

Inletting a crowned butt plate tales some time and effort, but I can give you a tip on how to do a semi-permanent, quickie, installation that will get you through hunting season...and then you can do it properly afterwards.

Drop me a PM and let me know how close you are to Valencia.

<allen day>
posted

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Roger Biesen. He offers stock machine inletting services using his patterns, including British express style configurations, for standard and magnum length Mausers with or without drop boxes, $125 using your wood, unless he has to make modifications. About 2 months turnaround.
Al Biesen works about 1/2 days in the shop, is 87 now but doing pretty well.
Roger Biesen
2039 West Sinto Ave.
Spokane, WA 99201
509-328-6818

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Here's a horn cap and buttplate off of an ACGG single shot at Hallowell's. I'm gonna try a version of the buttplate soon but the cap is way beyond me. Breathtaking, though.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate,

Thanks for the pics. That clearly helped me to see what was bugging me about the plate on mine now. It is fastened using oval headed screws not flat as in your pic. I knew there was something about the screws that just didn't sit right with me. Maybe I can work with what's on there afterall...

Anyone know where to get screws like in Tigertate's pic? Flat headed that can be blued?

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Rick0311,

PM sent.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Those are probably oversized-head screws filed to fit flush and then re-cut with a slotting file. Brownell's ought to have something.

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Damn Forrest, After this, I'm looking for a stock blank. I was trying to save money but you and Rick just won't allow it. Big Grin

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by invader66:
Damn Forrest, After this, I'm looking for a stock blank. I was trying to save money but you and Rick just won't allow it. Big Grin

Biesen’s stuff is pretty hard to pass up, ain’t it! I gotta be honest with you, and I hope he doesn’t read this and decide to raise his prices, but after holding and examining his trapdoor butt plates I have no idea how he can sell them for what he does.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
I'd consider the Biesen buttplate and matching grip cap. Here's a set on my 416:

Let me be the first to say Ouch!

Looks very nice.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey...putting a rubber recoil pad on a beautiful rifle like that is like a gorgeous woman wearing an evening dress with tennis shoes on her feet! Smiler

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Hey...putting a rubber recoil pad on a beautiful rifle like that is like a gorgeous woman wearing an evening dress with tennis shoes on her feet! Smiler

While I may not agree...

roflmao

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Rick 0311,

Made it out to Texas and coincidentally Cabelas is having a Grand Opening tomorrow in Buda. Oughta be kinda fun. I'll give you a ring when I get back. I appreciate the help.

On a related note, I had ordered a banded front sight from NECG with a 13mm ID but when I got it the thing looked huge, very tall, on the barrel. I decided I need a simpler & smaller ramp. They were great about swapping it out for other parts. Many Thanks NECG!

I'm going to get the sweat on sling swivel, the screw on rear swivel both of which wil have the fixed loop not the QD swivel, and universal front sight ramp. I think that will about round this project out.

Thanks all!

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Rick 0311,

Made it out to Texas and coincidentally Cabelas is having a Grand Opening tomorrow in Buda. Oughta be kinda fun. I'll give you a ring when I get back. I appreciate the help.

On a related note, I had ordered a banded front sight from NECG with a 13mm ID but when I got it the thing looked huge, very tall, on the barrel. I decided I need a simpler & smaller ramp. They were great about swapping it out for other parts. Many Thanks NECG!

I'm going to get the sweat on sling swivel, the screw on rear swivel both of which wil have the fixed loop not the QD swivel, and universal front sight ramp. I think that will about round this project out.

Thanks all!

Oh, boy...my favorite store! Smiler

I’m going to be in Palm Springs and Yuma from the last week of July through the 1st week of August so I may not be home when you call. If I don’t melt or get banged up on this show we can get together when I return.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tiggertate,
Wasn't that horn butt plate on the John Amber Hagn actioned ACGG gun? It stirs some memories. Good ones too.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sure is. It is a splendid piece of North American gunmaking. If I had 20 grand I could spend on a rifle, that's the one I'd buy. In fact, I'd say that's a bargain. For anyone who hasn't seen it, go here:

John T Amber Rifle