THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a rustproof coating for blued barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a coating that can be applied to blued barrels / actions that makes them more rustproof? I have a blued 338 Win mag, that shoots very well, which I'd like to take to Alaska next year. With the weather up there I'd like more rust resistance (like a stainless). I don't want to get a stainless rifle when I have one that shoots very well already. However, I also don't want the thing to rust out on me either.
Thanks for the help.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Bluing is fine if you wipe it clean daily....and that's a pain.....

I use RIG grease and as long as I don't rub it off it works well in the rain....It's not perfect but I wouldn't be afraid of taking my blued rifle anywhere in the rain so prepped.

Find one of those finger condoms to put over the barrel and take a small can of WD-40.....

You'll be fine.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
There are several different rust preventatives on the market, but not one of them is fool proof. The only thing I can recommend is making sure you keep it clean. Wipe the gun off daily, maybe even keep a silicone cloth on you and wipe it down a couple times a day. Or keep a rag with one of these "rust preventatives" sprayed on and wipe down daily. I have read some pretty good reviews on "the inhibitor" Wipe it down once a day and you should be fine. I don't think you'll find anything that you can put on once and keep it rust free for weeks at a time, especially if it's raining. Of course none of these things will keep the inside of the barrel from rusting if the weather is really foul. Keep a light coat of oil inside the barrel when not in use and patch it out before hunting. I've seen many people keep a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle when out in the weather to help keep moisture and dirt out, just make sure you remove it before you shoot. Hope this helps.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun stock wax works good . My under the seat 3030 gets a coat or two of good car wax every year. It gets drug through the wet brush or in the boat then back under the seat.

Posts: 36 | Location: prince george bc canada | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been many tests done by other publications and on this forum by Saeed to determine which oil or rust preventive works best. The product that always gives best and longest protection by far is any good paste wax containig carnuba. It can be found in quality car waxes and Johnsons floor wax.

Thoroughly degrease the metal, then take a hot air gun or propane torch and carefully warm the metal up untill it is hot to the touch, as it warms up you will see the metal sweat with moisture that you are evaporating out of the pores of the metal. Let it cool slightly and apply wax, let it dry and buff it with a clean cloth. Apply a second coat and repeat.

The only product that comes anywhere close to the wax treatment is put out by Boeing called Boeshield. It is a waxy substance and they dont recomend buffing it off. It leaves the metal looking pretty dull and splotchy. It is also kind of pricy.

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kbobb,

Can't say I have done it myself but, I know of a couple guys who apply a floor type of "wood" wax to their firearms before each season. They remove the action from the stock and degrease it thoroughly...then apply a coat of wax to the outside of the action, barrel and bottom metal. Don't coat the bolt(other than the handle & shroud) or inner surfaces of the action and barrel. Let the wax dry then buff off as you would your car.

This sort of proceedure seems to work well for them in real wet weather conditions preventing rust from forming below the stockline. Like I said I haven't tried it but, from what I can tell the blueing on these rifles hasn't suffered from waxing and no signs of rusting are present. Food for thought....?

You also might want to check out Birch Wood Casey products as they make some very good rust preventives...

Birch Wood Casey

I like all of Birch Wood Casey products so I don't think you'll go wrong using them.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote