Find
Notify
Tools

Gold Inlay
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted
Does anyone know what it cost to have an A-5 Lites engraving inlaid with gold?

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay what is an A-5 lites? Gold inlays are very labor intensive, but you also have the cost of the gold. If you are talking about gold paint that is put into existing engraving, you might be better off to just torch your money.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Browning makes the A-5 and lite (I think) means it is an upland bird configuration.

It has just been handed down to my son from his Great Grandpa through his Uncle. I think it would cost more than the shotgun is worth but his uncle has had it reblued and restocked and wants to have the inlay done. I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you would have to post a pic of the engraving and get the resident engraver (who is very good) to give you an idea. I had my monogram done on the triggerbow of my 375 and it was over 100 bucks. Not only do they have to cut the groove to pound the gold in, the gold then has to be pounded in, the metal polished smooth and then rebluid. timing wise it should have been done before rebluing to save some work and money.

remember, it is worth what the son will enjoy it for. I am very happy I had it done on my rifle, a very small touch that gives it that extra "mine" quality.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Scrollcutter,

That is some clean work.

The shotgun has "Light Twelve" engraved on the action.

I've been doing a little browsing and I think this is going to be a $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 project.

Then the new stocks will look shoddy. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this question came up on a shotgun board i frequent just recently and an engraver who posts to it often (a really good, well-known engraver) said he charges i believe it was $25/inch for gold line inlay. i assume you want the factory engraving pattern laid in gold in its entirety. there's many inches of engraving in those.

roger

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I gave the shotgun a closer look this morning and you ar right about the inches. Depending on how you measure, it looks like 50" or 60".

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Sixty inches looks like it would work out to your $1500.00 budget. That is if the lines are straight and you are not trying to inlay scroll.

Big Grin

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
$1,500.00 isn't a set budget.

Even though the work on this shotgun isn't that fancy it may be more than 60 inches if I total every curlique. The engraving will need to be recut because the gunsmith was a little heavy handed with the polishing.
I guess I need to make a rub of the action and calculate a little closer.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Re-cutting engraving takes the budget to a whole new level. It's about as time consuming as doing it from scratch, worse in some cases.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, that is pretty work on the octagon. Very nice! Don't suppose you give volume discounts do you? Wink roflmao

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate is correct. I would rather eat hockey and go naked than re-cut engraving.

DD,

I only give volume discounts to rather large and bulky people. lol

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
OK, Roger, give us some stats! LOL

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I guess the question in my mind is why invest $2-3K on a $250.00 shotgun.
Yes it has a family history and was given to my sons great grandfather by someone of local historical significance but...

For the price of the work we could buy something of greater collector value that we couldn't shoot.