THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10/22 Mag cycles but trigger won't cock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

Weird problem...my 10/22 mag is suddenly a singel shot. It will cyle a fresh round into place, but the the trigger is not cocked. If I pull the bolt back a 1/2" or so, it cocks woithout ejecting the fresh round and then it will fire, but then the process starts again.....This gun has a Volquartsen hammer/sear installed...but it's worked fine up until now with about 250 rounds or so through it....

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Ask at www.rimfirecentral.com if the guys there can't get you an answer, no one can.

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you have Volquartsen install the kit or someone else install it for you? They probably also installed a more powerful hammer spring. It takes more effort to cock the gun with that spring installed. It could be that the gun or chamber is a little dirty so the empty shell is getting held up a little as the bolt is pulling it back out. As a result, the bolt has enough energy to eject the round but not enough to travel far enough back to cock the hammer again. I have a Power Custom kit installed in my 10/22 Silhouette gun and it will do the same thing if the chamber is dirty or the bolt has a bunch of grime on it.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Weird problem indeed.

I'd take the trigger group out and clean and oil it first, simple enough to do and your problem may be just dirt, but if saomething is broken it might be simple to see.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too had a very similar problem recently and found a cure at rimfire central, take a look it may help....good luck!

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=8d788a32ed2879e7fdb01226a3e5f60c&threadid=15547

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, an update

Took the whole trigger group apart. All parts looked clean and crud free.

From what I can ascertain, the problem involves the trigger/sear engagement and the overtravel/return spring. It turns out the hammer is actually engaging the sear just fine on blowback. The problem is that the trigger is not always returning into position to grab the sear. If I grab the trigger and pull it forward (toward the front of the trigger guard) you can hear a tiny click and then the trigger works. pushing down on the tensioned hammer also causes this to happen. That's why I could get things to work by only slightly pulling the bolt back after it cycled.

Is the small spring sandwiched at the base of the sear and the trigger possibly the problem? When I had it dissassembled and I would squeeze the sear/trigger arranement it would make a slight "clicking" noise.

I guess a stronger trigger return spring would work, but that seems like it would be treating a symptom since I can't believe that the spring is weakened somehow...the gun is not that old and hasn't been fired very much..although it is a spring that is under tension all the time..as is the small sear/trigger spring...

It does seem better now that I've taken apart, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. I have not had a chance to test fire yet....

Well, if nothing else, I have overcome my fear of tearing apart the trigger group of a 10/22!

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I didn't remember the return spring in the guard. However, I'm glad you have overcome your fears of taking the 10/22 apart. I know you said you're rifle had a trigger job, so it's possible that as part of the kit they also replaced the return spring in the trigger housing with a lighter spring to reduce the weight of pull. My Power Custom kit came with such a spring so it's logical to assume that yours did too. I actually had the same problem with my 10/22 after I installed the kit, and as I recall I think I switched back to the original spring. It's been a long time, can't remember for sure. Definitely sounds like you've found the source of the problem though. If you still have all of your original parts, I'd probably replace the spring with the original.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rogerinneb. Have done a lot of modifications the the Ruger 10/22 system. The clicking that you hear is the disconnector working properly(actually works like a connector in function). I believe that your problem is in your trigger return spring (the spring and plunger that are visiable in the trigger guard). The Volquartson trigger is made of stainless steel and the factory part is made of aluminum thus it takes a heavier return spring to move the mass of the steel trigger forward. The Wolff tune up kit for 10/22 Brownell's pt #969-180-750 has a xtra power trigger return spg. Most of the other kits have a reduced power trigger spg and thats fine when you use factory trigger as it will handle the alloy factory parts. I now only use factory parts and modify those for my trigger jobs.

d

Posts: 18 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rog,
Since you have tried all the other suggestions here's mine:
Do you have a trigger overtravel screw in the trigger? If so it has probably backed down and is hitting the trigger guard. Screw that set screw back in a little and try to reshoot. i think that will fix your problem. It happened to mine last week. Bill

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are the best...

I'm going to try the xtra power trigger return spring....

Thanks to all for your willing help and expertise!

R

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, did you get a new spring with the Volquartsen hammer. That spring does not go in the disconnect. It is the trigger return spring. Putting that spring in the wrong place is a common problem with the Volquartsen hammer kits.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Walker,

Can't remember.....I think I bought a Fajen stock and a Volq. tensioned barrel from the bargain bin a couple of years ago...I can't even remember EXACTLY what trigger parts I upgraded from Volq. The stock needed some tricky inletting/bedding so I had a gunsmith work on it..I'm thinking I must have had him install the trigger parts because I can't remember anything else for the life of me..!

R