New
Find
Notify
Tools

M-96 Sporterizing pictures
 Login/Join

<RVB>
posted
Here is the first rifle I built a few years ago when all I had is a Smithy Machine.

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/m-96_swedish_mauser/ M-96 Photo Album

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
RVB,

Well done, thanks for sharing the pictures with us. I see you cut the thumb extension, what did you use to cut it with? Did you start with a new bolt handle or forge the existing one?

BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job! Looks like a functional and practical hunter.Hard to beat 6.5 x 55. Could you tell me where you purchased the "Model 70" Safety Lever Kit....Is it 2 or 3 postion...Thanks...Ron G.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job, RVB.

"....I had to do it in two sections and then draw file smooth...."

I just machined a barrel blank on my Shoptask 3-in-1, but I did not use offset tailstock for the taper instead by swinging the compound rest. I did the job in many sections and had to draw-file smooth too, I totally understand the muscle pain you must have had!

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn fine job!

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
Answeres to questions above.......
The old bolt handle was cut off, and the new one TIG welded on.

The extension was ground off

The safety is two position. Precise Metalsmithing #170K, Available through Brownells (Brownells part #724-015-170...$29.95)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish Ram-Line would make their stock fit the M96 better. I had the same problem as you had in picture #8 where the magazine sticks out of the bottom of the stock a little. They do not mould the stock with enough depth in this area. I ended up lowering the magazine to get it completely into the stock and in the process lost one round in the magazine.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO? You need to get off the computer and get back to work! [Mad]

Seriously, that is GREAT metalworking, especially with a 3 in 1 machine. It deserves better than a plastic stock though. To me, the point in gunsmithing is being able to fix the problems that occur from being "knocked around." You can fix anything you can build. Besides, if you do a wood stock as well as you did the metal, dings wouldn't make it look bad and wouldn't effect accuracy.

That's a really nice rifle. I'm looking forward to seeing the next one. - John

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote