New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum research?Sako L691 actions??????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know much about these actions? My gunsmith has several NIB and they are pretty damn true right from jump. What's the deal with these things? They have remington contour tops so bases are far more available in many configurations. Do they make nice accurate long range guns with let's say a PacNor barrel I have laying around and a good gunsmith to put everything together and bed them in?

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've built about a half dozen rifles on them and wish that I could buy that many more. In my opinion, they're some of the best action purchases that I've ever made. Where's your smith located? Maybe he'd be willing to part with a few. I picked up mine a few years ago when MRI dumped a bunch on the market at a reasonable price. Too bad that I didn't take a second mortgage on my house at the time.

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an action for sale. Magnum Research dumped these on the market after trying to market the Mountain Eagle rifle for a while. They are an excellent action and I have a Magnum model for sale if anyone is interested. Incidentally, I have a suggestion for you. Take that Pacnor barrel and throw it in the back of your pickup. You can use it more successfully as a handle for your Handyman jack than for a rifle. Sound like sour grapes? You bet. Go out and buy a better barrel. At this point I am inclined to believe that the ER Shaw barrels are a better bargain than PacNor.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim I have read your thread on the PacNor tubes,....and with all due respect I have not had that or any issue with the 3 I have. My 300RUM will put 200gr MK's into .25moa every time (shooter error not included) I have not noticed any large spots in the bore either. I have a hart and gary schneider (blank) but don't feel the hart will do any better,..and this barrel is marked (seely masker)!!

I will keep an eye out for the conditions you describe,..as I am quite particular and don't want any BS going on with my tubes. As a matter of fact,..I will make sure to look for any funky happenings when I clean them all next time just to be sure I havn't missed anything. Did yours with the problems group at all??? or were they just "slinging" pills from the start???

Any chance your customer left sweets in the bore over night and won't admit it??

RUSS,..he is in Delaware. I will inquire about the availability of any more. What did you pay when you picked them up the last time,..just out of curiosity??

Thanks guys.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if i remember right, when these were being sold they were $350 with the bell and carlson stock. they were in left and right handed. i built several rifles on them and they all shot very well.

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote