Notify
Tools

7/32-40 die needed to clean-up peep sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ruger270
posted
Gentlemen,

I am in need of a 7/32-40 die to clean-up the threads on an aperture for my NECG peep sight. I am trying to use a .150" Williams Twilight aperture in my NECG on my Ruger #1, but the threads on the aperture do not extend far enough down the shaft of the aperture. I need to extend the threads another .1" and I can't seem to find anything locally (Mesa, AZ) and I don't want to spend $15 ordering a die just to fix an $8 aperture. Any suggestions? How much would a machinist pay to cut the threads? A gunsmith? Does anybody have one that they would be willing to let me borrow? I would of course pay shipping.

Thanks for the help.

Jesse

Posts: 171 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Do you have enough internal threads on the other part so that you could just relieve the threads on the apeture rather than extend them? Just a suggestion.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends if you want to "bubble gum " it or fix i right...hell,,,spend the 15 bucks and do it right

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger270:
Gentlemen,

I am in need of a 7/32-40 die to clean-up the threads on an aperture for my NECG peep sight. I am trying to use a .150" Williams Twilight aperture in my NECG on my Ruger #1, but the threads on the aperture do not extend far enough down the shaft of the aperture. I need to extend the threads another .1" and I can't seem to find anything locally (Mesa, AZ) and I don't want to spend $15 ordering a die just to fix an $8 aperture. Any suggestions? How much would a machinist pay to cut the threads? A gunsmith? Does anybody have one that they would be willing to let me borrow? I would of course pay shipping.

Thanks for the help.

Jesse

There is an aperture seller on Ebay that might fix it for you. He might have a replacement ready made or could make you replacement too.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ruger270
posted Hide Post
George,

Do you know the sellers name?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may sound kinda dumb here but, I have never heard of a 7/32 x 40 die. Maybe a #12-40 but not a 7/32.

The major diameter on a #12 Screw is .216" and 7/32 decimal equivalent is .2187" I think you do have a 12-40 thread there.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ruger270
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I have found a 7/32-40 die listed on Brownells (stock number 080-598-112), and at some websites devoted to selling tools for small hobbies.

Jesse