New
Find
Notify
Tools

cantilever re-install
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an Ithaca slug barrel on which the cantilever scope mount "let go" on Saturday during a doe hunt. My question is how should the cantilever be reattached? It appears that it was soldered on originally, but I ask whether the mount should welded on, or should it be again soldered?

Thanks for you answers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one has a reply to this question? No "smiths" on this site?

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I can only tell you welding is not an option. Shotgun barrels are too thin to take the heat required for even surface penetration. It would, at best leave a ridge inside the barrel and at worst, burn a hole through it. Silver soldering/brazing is the only way and any competant smith should be able to do it.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silver "brazing will take almost as much heat as welding and is not practical as far as I am concerned. Solder it back on with Brownell's "force 44" solder. It works!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote