New
Find
Notify
Tools

What action do I need?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I want to build a 257 Wby, can I use a 25-06 Rem action or do I need a 7mm/338 Rem Mag action?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Nebraska---

Are you talking about using a Remington action?

If so, it depends on what extractor you're going to use. If you're going to change to a small claw it makes no difference because the bolt face will be bored out and sleeved anyway.

If you're going to use the OEM part you'll have to start with something that has a magnum bolt face.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I would discuss this with your gunsmith.One reason being,that he might want to use a magnum action,which will allow you to have more room in the magazine,so that you can seat the bullets out further.I made the mistake of building a magnum wildcat,and not being able to seat the bullets out further.I quess I could have the smith hog it out a bit,but I found a load that works with the short magazine.Just a thought you might consider.
1geejay
http:www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
ALL long action 700's have a 3.70" mag box regardless of cartridge. You can use your 25-06 action, which is a standard long action with a .473" bolt face.It will have to be opened up to the .532" "magnum" bolt face.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300/7mm/338 Win has a .532 diamater but the 257 Wby has a .530 diamater. Wouldn't that result in a poor fit? Would it be better to start with a 25/06 and have it opened up to .530?

Do I want a claw extractor?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

There will be more variation than that just between brands of cases. Also the bolt faces are opened more than is required so there is some slop.

Sako type extractors fitted to Rem 700s make for nicer enaging of the extractor over the case rim and don't tend to tear the brass up as much which leaves lots of brass shavings in the bolt face.

Some individual Rem 700 extractors can be quite bad in this regards and will also cause a fair bit of resistance to closing the bolt.

If you open a 30/06 bolt face you will need to have a Sako type extractor put in.

Unless you already have a Rem 700 for a 25/05 or 270 etc. I would prefer to start with Rem 700 in a caliber like 7mm Rem, 300 Win or 338. That way you also get the appropriate magazine box. Unless things have recently changed the magnums have a magazine box with straight vertical sides whereas the 270 magazines are rolled over a bit at the top of the magazine box.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. Who manufactures that Sako-style extactor for the Model 700?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

The gunsmith (nothing like all of them) will supply and fit a Sako extractor for you.

It is not a do it yourself thing. Most gunsmiths into the accuracy thing with Rem 700s will do it.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
Nebraska,

I'm waiting on a 257 wby at the moment. I used a 7mm rem mag in a 700 to start with. These rifles are fairly cheap to pick up used right now. Plus it doesn't need an extractor mod or bolt face opened.

However if you opt for a standard like the '06 boltface, I'd recommend looking at the AR-15 type extractor. its cheaper and stronger than the sako type. Check with your smiths.