New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 Extractor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Remington 700 AWR factory chambered for 300 Weatherby Mag, and she is currently in the shop getting her second factory extractor replaced.

None of my other Remingtons have had this problem, but its time for something different for the AWR. I have decided NOT to go back to the factory extractor after this season.

Question:
Does anyone have a preference over the Sako vs. M16 extractor, and any gunsmiths that you have experience with & would recommend for this modification?

Choices:
Sako
M16

Posts: 132 | Location: WI. | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The 2nd one? Perhaps the shop who is installing them, isn't doing them correctly, or, there is something else going on.

I have done many, many M16 and Sako's conversions but there is nothing wrong with the factory issue extractor if they are set up correctly

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess this drives the demand for those M700 DGRs, eh? I can hear the hooves, see the dust and now, the under belly.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the conversion of a magnum bolt to either the sako or m16 is a poor choice. I have done many of the sako conversions to the 223 and 308 bolts. (some may chastise me for this) The problem stems from the angle of departure of the empty; it will hit the scope windage turret cover and bounce back into the loading port. I will not do a magnum conversion again. The difference with the PTG bolts is the location of the ejector plunger, I would strongly reccomend them for a new bolt.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Sell it and get a good rifle !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
IMHO the conversion of a magnum bolt to either the sako or m16 is a poor choice. I have done many of the sako conversions to the 223 and 308 bolts. (some may chastise me for this) The problem stems from the angle of departure of the empty; it will hit the scope windage turret cover and bounce back into the loading port. I will not do a magnum conversion again. The difference with the PTG bolts is the location of the ejector plunger, I would strongly reccomend them for a new bolt.

Jim

Without replacing the bolt entirely, installing one of these aftermarket types is the best option when opening a standard bolt to accept a magnum case. And at that, I haven't had any problems with factory magnums conversions that couldn't be easily corrected with a little fine tuning of the grip angle. In fact, I find it rare to have to do anything special to make empty cases fly like they are supposed to.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It's not that hard to work the ejector angle to get it to throw whatever way you want.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
It's not that hard to work the ejector angle to get it to throw whatever way you want.

But...IMO you need to alter the extractor rim to do it. So why mess with it?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I've not had to do that, but I also don't think there's any real reason to change from the original extractor. I see many 50+ year Remington's with original working extractors.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that will work unless you were to stick the spent rounds into the block of fruitcake.

Oh, I forget, you must have pulled that one right out or your azz.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have more than 20 700s and shoot all of them and have since 1974. Have never had an extractor problem with any of them.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have more than 20 700s and shoot all of them and have since 1974. Have never had an extractor problem with any of them.

Don't hear that one very often! I've had 3 700's over the past 20 years, and had problems with two.

Posts: 117 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 30 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had one Rem 721 for 50 years and no problems with the extractor. I just make darn sure that the bolt face is kept clear of trash and brass shavings. OF course if it ever breaks the only solution is a Sako type as the 721 extractor is no longer available.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote