New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 weatherby to 375 h&h
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an old Southgate Weatherby FN mauser in 300. Would a simple rebarrel job to 375 H&H feed well? Anyone do this? Or would a 375 Weatherby feed better?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will take a stab at this and say the H&H will feed better than the Wby simply because it is tapered more.
Also, you might lose one down in the magazine going to the Wby. But you should check this first. Love the 375 Wby, IMO the best 375 on the market in a long action.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
isn't the case head different??

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
The 375 H&H is the parent of all belted magnums and as such has the same head diameter as the 300 WBY. The only potential problem maybe keeping the 375 H&H rounds from popping out of the magazine because they have much more taper (narrower) than the 300 WBY. The 375 WBY, however, would be a straight re-barrel.

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
Lou, thats what I'm worried about. Dummy H&H rounds will stay put in the magazine, but I dont know how well they would cycle fast. I guess I could always go with the H&H and if it doesnt work well I could have it rechambered to 375 Weatherby, which I beleive has the same case taper as the 300. Or I could play it smart and just leave it as a 300.

Butch, you might be thinking of the 378 Wby, which is a fatter case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed seeing your rifle is a 300 WBY, for some reason thought it was a 300 H&H.
Go with the 375 Wby, should feed perfectly and brass is made simply by fireforming.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
brass is made simply by fireforming.

I'd expand the case necks up to .375 caliber first...

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was referring to fire forming 375 H&H brass to 375 WbySmiler. Sorry I didnt make that clear.