THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Titanium - Will custom action makers turn to it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
I see a good interest in 700 Ti for customs, will the CUSTOM action makers go Ti for weight loss?

How much would/should it drive up their costs for production do you suppose?

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Ti is really difficult to machine. Hard on tooling. Especially drilling and tapping. It's also very expensive to finish. Pretty neat when it's done though. Not sure many are interested in the extra cost.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5br,
SatterleeArms offers an TiM98(intermediate)for a cool US$6.5k.
HARRE once offered custom model49 Ti actions(m70type) with option of integral rings,
the ultimate in strength and weight saving.
The integral bottom half of the rings were machined/finished by EDM so that they were near perfectly aligned with the centre line and parallel of receiver. thumb

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I was curious, myself don't need weight savings, but seems many people showing interest in Rem Ti guns/actions. Seems a well balanced barrel and stock will net a rifle of good carry weight and still hold well.

Always those with different 'needs' .....or wants I guess. Just curious on that though, thanks. I can see super light handguns for carry, but a rifle...heck I guess most of us could shed some pounds.....elsewhere...that we carry. I could drop 5-10 easy...

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
HARRE once offered custom model49 Ti actions(m70type)

I didn't think Harre made very many actions. Never heard of the Ti ones. Were they just marketing them? Or, did they get any finished. I'm finishing up a little Harre in 222 Rem. I put a Peterson barrel on it, swamped it half & half,& welded on a new bolt handle. This little one here has integral Talley bases that I shaped into a square bridge style. The firing pin, extractor and follower are Ti. Too bad there aren't many of these little actions around.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about photos James? Would you send me your current email address?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAMES
is that the action from paul dressel that your working on
Daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dumoulin made Titanium Mauser actions in Belgium. No idea if they still do.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
JAMES
is that the action from paul dressel that your working on
Daniel

I picked up the action here locally in the Black Hills. I didn't get it from Paul.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
posted Hide Post
Titanium is bad about galling and would only be suitable for the receiver if matched with a steel bolt. It is certainly nothing I would get excited about.
Titanium does look nice with blasted with sodium bicarbonate. It takes on a totally smooth flat dark gray tone.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
http://www.satterleearms.com/inventory.htm

Yep, 13k nice! Looking that is, don't believe I'll handle anyone soon! Not in my wallet range, but nice for those who can I guess.

Yeah, someone on another forum talked of ceramics and even Aluminum. Galling was my question, of course steel inserts for lock lug recess might be needed, as well as steel lugs. Lubricity and other metallurgic properties would need to be evaluated for function, etc. I'd presume, interesting where we go from here.