New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding a savage factory plastic stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At one time I had found some detailed instructions for glass bedding the factory plastic stock on a Savage Model 110 but I cannot remember where I had seen it. Mine is in .243 and I have noticed that the stock flexes quite a bit and I had thought about adding piece of metal tubing in the forearm to stiffen it up. I noticed that sometimes the barrel is touching at the end of the forearm and other times its not. I suspect that this inconsistency can greatly affect the accuracy. I tried looking at the Savage shooters website but for some reason I could not access it. Can anyone help with ideas on how to to tackle this problem? I had thought about an after market stock but cash is rather tight right now. Thanks. Mike

Posts: 74 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take some glass gel and place it in the fore end. wrap the barrel in masking tape to get the clearence you want. make sure you put release agent on all parts you are glassing. Filling in the voids well work. Makes your rifle heavier.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Savages are pillar bedded and shoot well that way. The best cure for the plastic stock is to grind a groove in the bottom of of the barrel channel. At this point, some epoxy in a pushrod from an old engine or other stiff type of metal rod. You can use JB Weld or action bedding compounds. After the front is stiffened, check for free float up to the action. I have a Savage laminate stock available(long action) that I took off a new rifle if you're interested.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips. The Savage laminate might be worth a try. bowhuntrrl please let me know what you would like for the stock. Thanks. Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.savageshooters.com has some really good articles on bedding Savage stocks. Bell and Carlson also makes a Duramax stock that is better than the factory stock and is reasoanbly priced.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks elkhunter. I found the articles. Good stuff.