THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photo of suppressor NOT attached to barrel!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
Can anyone guess why this suppressor is sitting on my desk being photographed instead of sitting on the end of the barrel?

Well, let me explain just how far down-range it actually went! Big Grin
It is my new model with extra baffles. It is supposed to reduce recoil and muzzle blast. Apparently it did such a good job of the latter that it came off and went down-range! I watched the bullet strike, lowered the rifle for a look and saw something smoking hitting the ground. Only when I reloaded did I see the thing was missing from the gun! It must have gone 20m or so. The Loc-Tite I had used had come off the smooth bluing of the barrel. Usually I have quite a job getting these things off! Oh well, I will just have to find a better means of attachment! The 303 Brit one stays put!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ain't them thangs 'sposed to be threaded on?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
thats what I was thinking when he showed me them before, but hey use the red stuff that way it wont pop off from the heat of the barrel.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
I think suppressors have internal threads. What I find missing is the manufacturer and s/n. But hey, I'm just a spectator in the sport of All Things Fun and Exciting.

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Hah! Very astute! Yes it is home-made and no it does not have threads. The Red stuff is stronger than the Green stuff? We are talking bearing retaining compound. Which Red one do you mean? When I say difficult to remove I mean it takes a lot of heat! Big Grin I suspect that the problem here is insufficient 'Green stuff' and a very smooth, non gripping surface. That same surface was OK with the first model but that one had far less recoil 'arresting' effect.

aleaddict, this is an experimental muzzle brake/suppressor I have been developing. These things sit back from the muzzle and are easier mounted with 'glue'. You won't believe how well these things 'suppress' and reduce recoil! (Not to mention the fun and laughter when the bloody thing shoots down-range!) Big Grin On the upside, it allowed me to test the effectiveness of the device. Recoil still does not hurt but sight picture is easily lost without it. Noise level is rediculous!
beer

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
I think we just witnessed a writeup on "Baton rounds for deer test" dancing

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote