New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Remington Magnum Info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased a rifle with a switch barrel system, and it has a 416 Rem Mag barrel. I have been able to locate several factory loads, and enough compnents that I am comfortable that I can get a load worked up for it.
My question is just for general FYI, is this a good 40 bore round, or is it something I should look at trying to rechamber the barrel to another 40 bore? I know the Rigby isn't belted, and I do like non-belted stuff, but I don't figure to shoot this particular round much, so I was thinking it would be OK as is.

Any info, thoughts appreciated.

Thanks--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It's a fine round just the way it is. I hear stories from time to time about it blowing Remington extractors but it seems that was with early factory ammo that may have been loaded too hot for Africa. You might ask about that on the African Forum. I have shot mine year in, year out for many moons with no problems. I load 400 Hornadys for plinking and 370 grain North Forks for hunting (just because they shoot so well) at aroung 2300 fps. Mine doesn't like the 350 gr Speers but that's just my gun, not a bad bullet.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
The .416 Rem. Mag. is a fine cartridge. I've carried one quite a bit for the last 3 years. Once to Africa and about 100 days in the States.

As Tigger said the Hornadys are a great practice bullet. I really don't care for their performance on game though.

Try Partitions, Swift, or Barnes if you head out hunting with it. I'm sure the Northforks are fine too.

You'll find that many handloaders have their best luck with RL 15 in that cartridge.

Best of luck,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll start to work on some loads with a few different bullets, I should see my rifle end of next week or maybe a little quicker.

Time to order some dies and supplies--

Thanks again--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote