New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identification help-450-500Express
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bought a 1917 Remington Enfield from one of the guys on the forum. He didn't know much about it. The builder is marked Reed Thompson Jr. The caliber that is stamped on it is 450-500 Express. I guess that I need to pull the barrel and make a chamber cast. I hope I have enough Cerrosafe.
Any info on the cartridge or builder would be appreciated.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Butch..can't help on chambering...chamber cast will work for you. Don't see why you need to pull the barrel to do this. Could you post a picture of the bottom metal. If I recall it had a bow release and wondering if it was two piece or converted Mauser. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a 2 piece in the bow. Man, the barrel is fighting me coming off.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch...the Enfield thread is square and a little torque snugs up the barrel very tight. Normally you only remove an Enfield barrel for rebarrelling by putting a relief cut just in front of the receiver ring to relieve the pressure. Fighting the barrel to remove it in the conventional manner may crack the receiver as it is very thin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it apart. Will try to make a cast tomorrow.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job. Can you post a couple pictures of the bottom metal. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
better yet, post a picture of the chamber cast. I looked at that rifle, hard; just couldn't go without knowing what cartridge it was.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote