Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What to build??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ramrod,

You don't have any of the famous US military cartridges. It's always a good thing to have one around. I would do that before a WSM on a Mauser. My first and last choice is always the 30-06 Springfield.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do elephants run out in Texas... About 40 tons?

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Savage would you believe that I have been shooting centerfire for over 35 years and have never owned a 30-06 nor to the best of my knowledge fired one.

Lee I see you are in Houston. What part. I'm on the west side. Can't help you on the .330 barrel.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Steve, you are confusing Elephants with the Houston Cockroach.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I am in Deer Park, out east. I take it the 6.5 holds no interest for you? In recent years, I have stopped acquiring as many "regular" firearms and started picking up British rifles and shotguns, just to be different and because I like old, handcrafted stuff! Lots of "Romance" in it! LOL.
One thing about it, if you want to be different, just open Cartridges of the World to the British Sporting Cartridge section, They had all kinds! I've been contemplating a .404 also, to fill that "hole" between my .375's,.416 Hoffman and .458 Lott. We are having terrible problems with crop raiding elephants on our side of town! Best of luck with your problem! Lee.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the great 7x57. As I sit here, I am admiring my vintage Vickers rifle in .318 Westley Richards. Pre-war British styling on a mauser action with express sights. Of course, its the same basically as a 338-06, but it is classically African. I also have a spare 1909, and I have been thinking of building another .318. I wonder who cuts .330 barrels? Also, what about the superb 6.5x54? The beauty of this addiction is that there are no rules against having cartridges that overlap each other ballistically!

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
a nice 9.3x62

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You already have alot of calibers and they overlap anyway. How do your rifles fit various kinds of shooting? Do you have a lightweight, target rifle, varmint rifle or variations on these?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Let me provide a little more info. In 1981 I took a 280 Rem case. Made a 40 deg shoulder minimum taper and moved the shoulder forward so that in 280 the neck was .28. Then over the years I went all the way down to 6mm and up to 416. So what I have is an Ackley or Whelen on steroids. So I kept the 280, 300, 340 and 375.

Trigger_ I like your idea of a mannlicker. MY 358 Norma is built that way without a scope looks fantastic.

Jeffeosso- the Steyr has never really interested me. What is a 550 express. The 416 Taylor is about the limit of what I find easy to shoot.

Cold Bore- My 340 is a 338-06 with over 80grs of capacity. It has replaced my 338 Wmag as my Elk rifle.

Dago- Truth be known I have never owned a 270 or 30-06. Started with the 280. Had a 35 Whelen and was talked out of the barrel. That is where the Mark X action comes from. Darn I didn't know the rule about 308 & 358 Normas only coming in pairs. I had a 300 Wmag and gave it to a friends son for HS Grad. My wildcat got me close enough with less powder. Thanks for reminding me. I have a heavy sporter 224TTH barrelin 1 in 8 in the closet.

500gr-hope it doens't have to be one or the other. My best friend is moving to Alaska for work. He is supposed to check on hunting. My new bride has us set up as an anniversary present to go to South Africa in 2206. Did dove in Bolivia.

Flip- I have looked at the 9.3. But, my 375 wildcat gives me a slightly bigger bullet and more capacity. But, different is always nice.

Savage- for the most part I have that covered. I can go from a heavy blind rifle to light carry rifles. Currently don't shoot much target.