New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bulge in Barrel
 Login/Join

<Rezdog>
posted
Among a bunch of scrap guns I recently picked up is an old Savage .22/.410 over and under, the one with the barrels joined full length. All the gun needs is a stock and it will be back in business as a shooter again. The .22 barrel has a ring/bulge in the barrel about six inches ahead of the rear sight. I assume this will adversly affect accuracy. Can I have it re-sleeved? Any comments or suggestions?

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Actually, unless the bulge is close to the muzzle, accuracy may not be degraded to any meaningful extent.

I've seen many .22 rifles with rings and as long as there was at least 3-4 inches of good bore after the ring they all shot quite well.

Give it a try at the range (with an open mind!) and see how it does. It could shoot as well as you can...

jpb

[ 04-14-2003, 18:55: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. You may find the accuracy quite satisfactory.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22-250 with a bulge about 8 inches from the chamber and it is still shooting to about 1.25 inch at 100 yards. You may be surprised at what you can get out of a bulged barrel.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Rezdog>
posted
Thanks for the feedback. I'm encouraged enough to buy a stock and see what it can do.