Find
Notify
Tools

looking for M70 mount help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
M70 peep or scope mounts?

A friend of mine has a 1967 Winchester M70 in 375 H&H that he trying to fit with a peep sight.
He says that when he ordered the rifle in 1967 he requested the Alaskan Magnum model but that was not the model he received as the barrel length was 25 instead of 26 inches.

So he is not sure what model he has. The only markings he can see on the rifle say Winchester proof steel, made in USA, Model 70, and 375 H&H magnum.

He has used the rifle for years and wants to continue to do so despite failing eyesight. He is hoping to fit the rifle with a peep sight but can't find any that will mount on his rifle. Like my 1973 Safari Express M70, his rifle does not have standard spacing for scope mounts and he is unwilling to drill into his rifle.

He tells me that the front pair of screw holes on the receiver are about 7/8ths of an inch apart and the rear holes are about 5/16th of an inch apart (that sounds like the post 64 Express model to me which Leupold lists as .330 inches).

So - can anyone tell us - what the model actually is? where to find either a peep sight that will mount on the action in question? or failing that where to find a scope mount for the same?

I know that www.leupold.com has a mount fitting chart that lists Winchester M70 but I'm not sure if long action, or 70 EXP post 64 would be the correct fit. Anybody know? And thanks in advance, Mike.

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try talleyrings.com they mention a peep sight on their website. If anyone can help, they can. Great people to do business with.

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 70 exp post 64 mounts should be the right ones for his rifle.

<allen day>
posted
First off, if your friend's Model 70 .375 H&H was built in 1967, it will have a 24" barrel. The pre-1964 version came with a 25" barrel (a very few 24"), as did the pre-64 in .338 Win. Mag.

No version of the Model 70 in .375 H&H has ever come from the factory with a 26" barrel, except possibly a very few Custom Shop, special-order specimens. To correctly measure barrel length, begin at the gas escape port on the right front side of the receiver.

I am certain that Williams still makes a receiver-mounted peep sight for the Model 70. This sight would mount on the left rear side of the receiver in the two holes provided by the factory. This hole spacing did not change over the years. It's also possible that Lyman still makes a peep sight that will work, but unfortunately, their great Model 48 version is no longer made.

Scope bases for the .300 H&H and .375 H&H-dimensioned Model 70 receiver are readily available from Buehler, Leupold, and likely other manufacturers. The hole spacing changed with the 1964 version, but the manufacurer's charts specify which serial number range to order for. No problem.

Here's who to contact for the correct parts you need:

www.leupold.com

www.brownells.com

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It is a 24 inch barrel and it looks liek Talley has teh mount and the peep. Thnx!

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote