New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rebarrel a Browning BLR?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any lever action smith should be able to do it. Call Brockmans.
I'm not sure about the feeding reliability, the case heads are the same but the Bob has that Mauser taper so they'll stack differently. The extra tapped holes for the sights and the extractor cuts will add up too.

Might want to keep it in the same family and have it rebored for a .260Rem. (6.5-08). Keep the same barrel, should feed OK but you might want to compare the OAL of the .260 to the .243 and see if they'll fit in the clip.

Is there such a thing as a .25-08? Seems like someone probably tried it and called it something else. If so, just rechamber.

Go figure.

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know, can a Browning BLR in .243 be rebarreled to .257 Roberts? If so, who makes barrels? Thanks in advance

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I will check with Brockman's. Not my rifle but that of a hunting buddy and he has been more impressed with the .257 on game than his .243. Just one of those things.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks. I will check with Brockman's. Not my rifle but that of a hunting buddy and he has been more impressed with the .257 on game than his .243. Just one of those things.

I guess that depends on what the game is. Certainly if it's deer sized the .25 would be a bit better but the 6.5mm bullet of the .260Rem is quite an impressive performer, witness all the moose and caribou that have fallen to the 6.5x55 Swedish which is essentially what the .260 Rem is.

BTW the .25-08 is the .25 Souper, supposedly a wonderful cartridge that never got off the ground. Seems like a natural to me.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, there is the issue of the cartridge length. The .243 is a little shorter than the .257 (2.710 vs. 2.775)

So, start with getting your hands on a 120 grain .257 round and see if you can load it into the magazine. Remember to push it all the way down just to make sure.

Next, the rebarrel job will be pricey. Since it's not a standard rebarrel, you'll either have to have a barrel custom made (Turning the threads to match, and chamber). Expect this to run in the $600.00 and up range.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Bob, but I would have a hard time converting a BLR to that round. If you are looking for Bob performance, consider going to the .260 Remington. This could be done by boring out your existing barrel to .264 (6.5mm) and rechambering. Everything else would remain the same and you would even have a slight performace edge with the .264.

Honestly, all the .243 bashing is unsubstantiated. There's nothing wrong with the .243...But I like the .257 better.

Batman