Find
Notify
Tools

low profile mauser safeties
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I was wondering if a low profile safety for a mauser action is a job for a gunsmith or is it some thing that could be replaced by a beginner like myself.

Timney makes one that they say is a 70 degree instead of the 180 degree safety I have on my old Husqvarna.

Suggestions welcome,
Thanks.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
As long as your Husky is a '98 it is pretty easy. If it's a '96 (Model 46 Husky and some 640s) make sure you get one made for that series action.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
It is a 98 mauser action. Any tricks I should know? Or do I just follow the directions that may or may not come with it?

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The only one like that I used was a different brand but it dropped right in. If you have a problem I'm sure you can call Timney for help.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought a couple from Gunparts Corp and put them in myself. Being fussy though I spent a bit of time making them work smoother. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The Timney requires that you cut a slot in the bolt sleeve about an 1/8" wide and nearly that deep. The sleeve is case hardened and you will need to break the case with a Dremel tool and one of the composition wheels. After that, I've found, that the square Swiss file finishes the job very well. The directions for the location and size of the cut are with the Timney safety. You just need to be careful and slow while doing this. I like them for an inexpensive and relatively quick fix on changing the military safety.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Masterifleman

Are you talking of a Timney replacement for the Mauser Flag safety or rather that of a model 70 type replacement.

The Timney replacement for the flag safety is the one formerly marketed by Buheler, and follows a similar style to the mauser type other than that it works through a reduced arc of about 60 degrees.

I have used this type on a number of 98 actions but never found the need to cut into the bolt sleeve, it simply fits into the existing spigot as used by the Mauser safety lever. Some polishing or stoning of surfaces may be needed to make things work freely, but noting more onerous is usually needed.

The model 70 type replacement does require extensive modification to the bolt sleeve by the cutting of a horizontal slot and the inclusion of a hinge pin, this safety also permits for low mounted scopes but is a little more involved than that of fitting the Timney type.

Perhaps I may simply have misunderstood your explanation of the type of replacement catch, but that is the Timney safeties I have used

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are better off having a gunsmith fit any safty and the same applies to trigger jobs unless your pretty darn handy...especially a M-70 3 pos safty or working over a M-70 safty.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
This is for 98 mauser action.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

I guess I'll get one and look over the job - if it scares me I'll go to a smith.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The old Beuhler safety was a 2 piece part with a small screw holding the shaft and actuating lever together. It had a small lip that fit over the raised portion of the boltsleeve. The FN type requires the groove be cut in the bolt sleeve to retain the safety. To me the Beuhler was always the better looking of the 2 it was however the more expensive.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote