Find
Notify
Tools

What are my choices if I want an action with
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
What are my choices if I want an action with a tang safety, the ability to utilize a detachable magazine, and in 308 action length? Oh, and a good supply of aftermarket stocks that can be had in long LOP's (like 15.5" or so). Starting to look around for a custom project, and all I can come up with so far is Savage.... TIA, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning A Bolt

posted Hide Post
Try the Steyr Mannlicher SBS. They come in a long and medium action length with a detachable magazine
plus a tang safety (roller type) as well as a teriffic (in my opinion) two-stage trigger. They are available
in cro-mo and stainless, and with wood or synthetic stocks. The synthetic might interest you as it has
detachable spacers to alter the length of pull by about an inch. The U.S. importers recently changed
hands. The new one is Nobel, but I am having trouble accessing it. Hope you have more luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CDNN has the spacers and Lots-O-Extra parts for the Steyrs. Good Prices too....DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has a SBS Forester in 7mm-08 and I bought him a synthetic stock from CDNN for Christmas. His rifle is very accurate and works great. CDNN was great to work with as well. Now if I can only find some .376 Steyr mags for the rifle I just traded for...
Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Could you please give me contact information for CDNN?
I am a staunch Steyr Mannlicher fan. I have two of them, both model M in Left Hand,
one a 757 half stock, the other an odd 06 in full stock. Deep inside I am truly a fan of
the pre '64 Winchester but they weren't interested in us lefthanders back then (about
25 years ago), so I sought out the S M. I haven't looked back! Both my Mannlichers
have served me flawlessly and accounted for most of the big game I have taken.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

that's the website. they don't advertise firearms on the web but their catalog is full of some great deals and some not so great ones. I fyou ask they will send you a catalog and they advertise in Gunlist and Shotgun News. They will take your money and then ship to your FFL, my buddy bought a Winchester 1895 in .405 for something like $915 shipped.
Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
The only complete Steyr SBS rifles CDNN had as of two weeks ago was some 376 Scouts. Nothing else.

Here's another suggestion: Remington 700 (DM version) No tang safety, but aftermarket stuff is readily available. Or use a regular 700 action and get an HS Precision detachable magazine rig for it. The HS set-up is made out of steel and available have 4-shot and 10-shot mags available.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll try and locate an SBS and take a look-at. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote