New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello fella's, while I have been looking for a stock that I like I am having an issue, I have several of the M48 actions that I have converted to several different calibers and like the action but the project I am working on now I'm having problems with finding a stock. While I'm pretty good with wood working I don't feel I am in any way qaulified to start from a blank so for the guys that know could I just order a stock for a M96 and fit the large ring into it or is the bolt pattern off? the reason I ask is that I'm not 100% for sure and while I like to try stuff my pocketbook is not deep enough to try everthing I'd like to do.
So here's the question, is the M48 and M96 bolt spacing the same? Thanks folks.

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Check this thread out, they have semi-inlets for the M48.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/actions_available.htm

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I canceled an order I had with them after around the 3 month time frame! I have two other stocks that I got from them one a 6mm and the other a 308. the reason I was wondering about the bolt spacing is that I've got chisels and a Dremel tool and I ain't afraid to use them! the M96 and 98 stocks seem to be everywhere and I figured I might be able to massage the action into the 96 stock with a little work but I'd rather not mess with it if I need to fill the majority of stock with epoxy and have it look like hell, it's just going to be a hunting rifle but hey it would not hurt to look good also. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ksmirk, the hole spacing is the same.

You will have to remove wood from the reciever ring area and the triggerguard may take a little fitting.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rojelio, thanks! I thought it was the same but the ring was smaller on the 96 but hey I sure do like to double check myself! Have a good day. Later,

Kirk