THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    How to modify the mod98 magazine for the9.3x62I am making up a 9.3x62 on a Mauser Mod

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to modify the mod98 magazine for the9.3x62I am making up a 9.3x62 on a Mauser Mod
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am building a 9.3x62 on a Mod 98. I want there to be 5 in the magazine. Each magazine tried will hold at most four. If someone has solved this problem I would appreciate help. In a previous effort I used a Springfield piece which worked but was the last piece I had. Thanks

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Springfield "piece", the follower?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most military 98 magazine boxes have walls that are specifically tapered for the 8x57IS. The shoulder on the 9.3x62 will usually prevent getting 5 down. Changing the follower sometimes helps, but not always. A drop floorplate or new mag box is often the answer.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dfcjr,

Give Duane Wiebe a call. I bet he has metal parts for solving your dilemma. He makes beautiful bottom metal and drop floor plates. Perhaps a different magazine spring will help. Just an idea, didn't say it was a good one.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear dfcjr:

I've built three 1908 and Brno Mauser actioned rifles in 6.5-06 and 7x57 AI. Using the original military 7x57 or 8x57 bottom metal, I found that I could shove five 6.5-06 rounds in, but they were tight.

On the other hand anything with a .451" or more shoulder like my 7x57 AI or 35 Whelen AI dummy rounds will not fit five down. I don't think a 9.3x62 would work either, as you have already found out.

If you must have five down, then I second the Duane Wiebe bottom metal replacement.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to investigate what the Swedes done when Husky converted the Model 96 Swedes to 9.3x57. I happen to have one and I can fit five rounds in the magazine with no problems.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
You may want to investigate what the Swedes done when Husky converted the Model 96 Swedes to 9.3x57. I happen to have one and I can fit five rounds in the magazine with no problems.

Thats because the 9,3x57 shares the same shoulder diameter as the 8x57 and is also very similar to the 6.5x55. Whereas the 9,3x62 has a shoulder that is larger in diameter than the 8x57 as well as being a good deal further forward. The 9,3x62 case is also larger at the rear by a wee bit.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True but the 6.5 Swede also is larger then the 8x57 in both areas of the case, the web and shoulder...perhaps that is the 9.3x57 works on the Swede 96 so well. Looking one over especially the follower and how the magazine feed lips in the action are might help the poster to see what he can modify for his rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster
Sorry about the inaccurate language- by piece I meant the Springfield magazine. I used the mod98 follower. That setup worked quite well.

I am really looking for a solution using the 98 magazine I have. I am sure Mr Wiebe has just what I need but I cannot afford that. How I wish I could- his work (which I have seen) is superb. I appreciate the posted comments.

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Springfield magazine / trigger guard that you can have if you want it. LMK and I'll PM details.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume that magazine/trigger guard is a milled 1903? If the poster isn't interested in it let me know as I was looking for one myself.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My PDK case has a .46 shoulder starting at 2.17 compared to .451 at 2.039 for the 9.3x62. I know my MKXs will hold 5 down for the 340 and 280 just checked them. It is tight but I had polished the metal and they will feed the 5th. I know in the 400 version it is 4 down only but that seems to be lack of space for the bullet.

Just check the 375 and 5 will fit in the mag. About 50% of the time the bolt will slip over the 5th. (forgot in my rifle due to a chambering screw up the shoulder in my 375 starts at 2.31") That mag has had no polishing done to it. Since the extractor will snap over the rim I would do it just like I do the 400 if I want 5 load 4 drop the 5th into the chamber and hold the 4 down. The 375 still has room in the bullet area where the 400s don't

Might check and see how the 62 works in a MKX mag box. I don't have any 9.3x62s or I would check for you.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
I assume that magazine/trigger guard is a milled 1903? If the poster isn't interested in it let me know as I was looking for one myself.

That I will.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster
I would very much like to have the magazine. However, I am unable to do the PM thing. Is there another way? If so, I wwould try very hard to accomodate the solution. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's your e-mail add ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dclemson@gmail.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster solved my problem. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't chime in here very often(I sure don't have any business on this Smithing forum)

BUT, I use a 9.3x62 pretty extensively, and ran into this same quandry.
A few years back,Harold Wolfe, in his Hatari Times publuication did a story on a series of hunts he made with a 9.3x62 of his making. The gun was built on a commercial FN 300 action (as is mine).
As I recall, in the text he commented on the fact that the typical'06 style FN magazine would only hold 4 down and he felt that the need for a fifth was mandatory for his use. He makes some limited discussion of the necessary modifications to the FN box.

I recall one of the photos illustrating the piece shows him at his bench with the magazine in his vise and he is vertically filing (by hand) the interior walls at the rear on the sides.
I still have the issue somewhere around here.

I have handled two 9.3's that were Mauser actioned conversions that would hold and FEED 5 rounds,both appeared to have been opened at the shoulder and rear to some degree.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With time on my hands this morning, (waiting on the gathering family,and postponing my usual Christmas eve Quail outing until the snow subsides).
I located the Hatari Times No. 15 issue,published in June of 2003. I don't subscribe,but a friend, knowing of my use of the 9.3, gave it to me some years back.

Interesting article on pg. 27 by Mr. Wolf about the 9.3x62.
I was mistaken about the action on his rifle,he infers,but does not state it is a 1909 Arg. but the bottom metal in the vise, shown in the photo, appears to be a 1909 ,and the large photo of the finished rifle shows a 1909 bottom metal silhouette ,intrestingly without the addition of a knurled inside button added to the release bow.

The text of the article vaguely reveals something of his modifications to increase the capacity to 5 rounds.

A Merry Christmas to all !