THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 ACP military bolt-action conversions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm aware of the Enfield and large-ring Mauser conversions to 45 ACP. But these platforms are getting very expensive.

What other platforms are available to cheaply convert to 45 ACP bolt action?

Anyone care to offer a price on a 22 inch barreled action with magazine?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2001 I got a $100 .452" groove Shilen Chrome Moly bull barrel from Brownells and put it on a $50 1903 Turkish Mauser.

Shooting 230 gr FMJ with double powder charges, the effect on a target with a plywood back at 100 meters is great. Even at a shooting range with everyone shooting, while wearing ear plugs AND hearing protectors, the sound of a .45 cal bullet hitting the plywood can be heard by everyone. The plywood chips flying out the back of the target can be seen through the 4X scope, as the 17 pound rifle stays close enough to on target to provide the view.

There are lots of guys who have done this sort of thing and got 1911 magazines to fit in the mag well, but I have been shooting single shot.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't need a repeater, any '06 bolt face should do. I have seen several SMLE converted in Delyle style. I saw one shortened '03 that was a beauty. I had a Ruger No.1 barreled for .45 ACP and it has been a favorite for over 20 years. Extremely accurate with groups hovering at 1". Been a great hunting piece.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Swedish Mauser, Tnekkcc. Brownells does not list a .452 barrel, but MidwayUSA has a .458 bore in chrome/moly for $80.00. Rhineland Arms had a kit for $160 with everything needed, even a threaded barrel and magazine filler, but stopped making it. They say they may start up again later this year. I’m seeing large-ring Mausers go for about $130.00. I had one years ago, but it got stolen.

Is .458 too loose for run-of-the-mil 45 ACP?

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem with the rhineland kit is they stiffed half their customers. The barrels for their kit came from ER Shaw, call them directly if you want one.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry22LR:
Nice Swedish Mauser, Tnekkcc. Brownells does not list a .452 barrel,
Is .458 too loose for run-of-the-mil 45 ACP?

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.

Here is the barrel I used:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ViewCart.aspx?s=787451160&u=1

I talked to Ed Shilen about that barrel. He will not give me a wholesale discount like Brownells, but Brownells does not carry hand lapped Chrome Moly Shilens, like he sells. He suggests me buying Stainless Shilen barrels from Brownells, that are all lapped. I have since chambered a Stainless Shilen in 6mmBR, and it is now my most accurate rifle at .2 moa.

45 acp uses .451, .452, grooves for .452" bullets with 1 in 16" twist rate.

The 458 uses .458" grooves and bullets that are longer and need a 1 in 14" twist rate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check specialinterestarms.com He made improvments rhinelands idea. check his whole site.Some neat builds Bob

Posts: 36 | Location: Chula Vista Ca. | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I have done for a 45acp rifle, and what I would recommend for a single shot 45acp rifle is not to use a SAAMI 45acp chamber that is optimized for semi auto feeding reliability.

The SAAMI chamber is tapered .4796" to .4836" at the rear and .4740" to .4748" at the mouth.

The Lee 45acp carbide sizing die is .467" and 45acp brass comes out of it and springs back to .469".

I have cut the chamber with a .469" straight fluted reamer.

$21.25
http://www.jlindustrial.com/RCT-04690A/SEARCH:KEYWORD/product.html#

Then a Clymer throating reamer is used:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ViewCart.aspx?s=184053441&u=1
184-053-441 Fits .45 ACP (.4415 dia. pilot) $34.80[They only cost $30 back in 2000]

The chambering procedure for accuracy is then:
1) Chamber with your longest empty case as a go gauge and ream to .469" chamber diameter.
2) Make a dummy cartridge with a 230 gr FMJ bullet seated at 1.169" OAL and use as go gauge for the throating.

What does it all mean?
1) A SAAMI 45acp finish reamer will cost you $70, allows for sloppy feeding, and will give you poor groups.
2) A .469" straight fluted reamer and a 45acp throater will together cost you $56.05, will require precise feeding, will require the loaded ammo be resized, will fit the chamber like a 6mmPPC, and will give great groups at 100 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
specialinterestarms.com

tnek, thanks for the info, I will put it to good use.

Posts: 85 | Location: Calgary Alberta Kanada | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cvycbob:
Check specialinterestarms.com He made improvments rhinelands idea. check his whole site.Some neat builds Bob

Cool site!

I have seen some Lee-Enfields converted to 45 acp when I lived in Canada. Wish I'd bought one!

I want a Lee-Enfield in .45 ACP with integral silencer barrel!

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK you guys have to stop talking about this conversion as I am getting interested in making one and I really don't need another project right now. Big Grin killpc

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I made mine on a vz and moved the bolt stop foreward instead of useing the rhineland parts it works great so far killed a bunch of pigs with it.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Springfield Armory actually made one .45ACP carbine on a 1903 action.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Savage 200 bolt action (short) can be chambered in 300 Winchester Magnum. The flat end of this cartridge measures 0.513 inches across, The 45 ACP cartridge base measurers 0.476 inches across. Feeding problems aside, does this mean that the Savage also could be re-barreled in 45 ACP?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Henry, put a 45 case against the bolt face and see how much purchase the extractor hook gets on the rim when the case is centered.

It can probably pull them out just fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tnekkcc. I got to thinking that maybe I should be looking at a more modern bolt gun for my conversion to 45 ACP. You know, maybe get better metals, with less chance of “crystallizationâ€, yadda yadda. The old military-styles are getting expensive, and compete in price with some even brand new bolt guns.

I’m looking now at 30-06 bolt guns, with detachable magazines in particular. The 30-06 Springfield cartridge has a 0.471 base diameter and a 0.473 rim diameter. That gets me even closer to the 0.476 base and 0.480 rim of the 45 ACP.