THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need a Magazine Spring for New Haven Model 70 375 H&H

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Magazine Spring for New Haven Model 70 375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted
Anybody have a lead on a magazine spring for a New Haven Model 70 for a 375 H&H? It's a post 64 Classic CRF Model.

I've tried Midwest Gun Works, Brownells and Midway.

Thanks

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most any spring will work; I use Ruger springs as they are easy to get. Springfields. I'm surprised that Brownells or Numrich does not have a Model 70 spring.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Most any spring will work; I use Ruger springs as they are easy to get. Springfields. I'm surprised that Brownells or Numrich does not have a Model 70 spring.

All of the old USRA lineup was orphaned when the name went to Wallonia. I would imagine that most of USRAs parts inventory was parted out to various different parts suppliers by sealed bid. Over time we will probably begin to see those parts stocks begin to surface again after the new owners catalogue them and restart distribution. Who got them? Well for now I don't know. But Midwest Gunworks seems to have a rather complete selection of model 70 parts on hand for some reason.

popcorn I'm not superstitious. But seeing all of those parts on their inventory list does make me a littlestitious ! ! ! ! ! !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Just curious if you are trying to replace a broken one or thinking a new one will have more pressure, etc. to solve an issue.

I ask because I was chasing an issue with the same rifle, tried the spring to no avail, then changed follower and it solved the problems.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
BB,

I broke mine, don't even ask me how!

I did have the issue you described and fixed it with a follower change as well.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
BaxterB,

Out of curiosity what problem were you having with your rifle?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Last round would not retain. When I ejected the second to last round, the last round would pop up from the magazine and just lay there. I changed the newer, cut out follower with an older one from the Safari Express version - fitted it carefully and viola! The rifle also seemed to eject more surely afterwards - but that may have been my imagination. Then like an ass I sold the rifle to a guy who promptly went to Moz and killed a beauty buff with it....

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I know that I have an extra one that you can have. I bought one with a new follower about ten years or so ago and have never used it.

I have family over today and I'll be way from home all weekend so the earliest I could get through the spare parts cabinet is next week. If this works OK for you, PM me your mailing address and I'll let you know when I find it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Wolff Springs, at gunsprings.com ? I've only used them for pistol springs, but maybe they have more than that.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote