New
Find
Notify
Tools

Claw mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know if Recknagel front claw bases will slot straight in to top rib where a EAW base has been removed . Put another way : are the bases from each the same size ?
Thanks in advance

Posts: 45 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is uncertain . Depends on the year of production and how it was treated by the riflemaker.
But Recknagel sells a raw frontbase , that can easily modified to your needed specs.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your reply .
Ihave sent emails to both eaw and Recknagel some two weeks ago but no reply from either yet .
I have measured the 70 degree angled base at the bottom and it's 21.53mm to my measuremnent .
Is there a kind and generous soul out there who could take a measurement from any loose base lying around and let me know what it was .Even better if they knew what manufacturer.
I have to replace the front ring and base on my rifle but I don't want to order the wrong size from the wrong maker and have to return it from Australia.That takes many weeks .
Thanks in advance

Posts: 45 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to say , but your approach is not right. The claw scope mounting technic is always a individual singularity affair.

All the parts ( front and rear base + front and rear scope mounting parts are finally thoroughly fitted on the rifle or combo.

The mounting parts are prefitted changing only one part– even nominally measured to the existing parts - often need alterations of the rest of the combo.
Minimal tolerances in height for example will ruin the result.

Measurement at the bottom from 2 different bases ( both EAW ) 19,7 mm and 22,7 mm.

BTW the angle certainly is 60 degrees and not 70 measured by you.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you heavenknows
I was deceived then by the 70 derees on my scope dovetail it seems.However I think I will replace the front ring and base from Recknagel as your EAW measurements dont match my rib cut out .
I have run out of adjustment And need to raise front height. It will raise front height by 3mm. If I find that that is too much I shall replace the rear to the appropriate height to get a good result .
Thank you again.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
What is your rifle, Miers? I have the odd claw-mount base (and rail claws) here, mostly from s/s double rifles and needing to be soldered on. But if nothing else I could shout you a copy of my book on these matters, something to keep you from grinding teeth while you wait.

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks , Sambarman,
I have already ordered a front ring with more height .It's for a Merkel double rifle .
The scope is for Carl Zeiss Jena with 38 mm front bell with ring required.The tube has a rail .
I think I will be low in the rear when new ring is fitted so I will have to look for a rail attachment to remedy that .
I havent ordered a new rear foot because I wont know the height I require until the new front ring is fitted .
The problem arose because of ring /rail mix .The two didn't match in heights.
Thanks anyway .
PS What is your book ?