THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEED MORE UP for long range use-Please help!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For a Rem. 700 Long action, base and rings that will give me more up. rings for both
1" & 30mm scopes, please suggest combo's that
will not break my bank!! THANKS for the help.

Posts: 55 | Location: Kenedy, Texas USA | Registered: 24 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Leupold Dual Dovetail bases. Burris Signature Dual Dovetail rings. Put a +.020" eccentric in the rear bottom of the ring and a .-020" in the bottom of the front ring.

That will give you about 40 extra MOA,at 100yds. If it costs you more than $50 with express shipping to your doorstep,you bought it wrong................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info, can this work with the
Leupy dual dovetail rings instead as i have
dual dovetail bases and rings already
on the rifle? Please explain what eccentric
is or are. Thanks GEG

Posts: 55 | Location: Kenedy, Texas USA | Registered: 24 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
The Burris Signature dual dovetails,employ a live center bushing(eccentric). That aligns both rings,to perfectly mate the scope. They don't require lapping and will not mar tubes.

Those live-center eccentrics,come in various offset sizing and you can swap them out. That allows both windage and elevation correction,for an excellent base/ring system,that prior to their advent,had zero adjustability.

So to sum up,no the Leupold dovetail rings will not allow you the latitude,you are seeking. Burris signature rings,or employ a different(more expensive)system.

I believe this system to be the Holy Grail for a Hunting Rifle and have it on most everything..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Who makes the most
ecomnical tactical bases and rings? not sure
on terminology but is this not a rail type
system? Thanks GEG

<Don G>
posted
The Burris Signature line is the cheapest way to get the offset angle you need. I have used both a $125 custom offset rail and a $40 set of Burris Signature Zee rings. I never used the rail after I got the Signature rings (you have to order the eccentic inserts seperately $10 That gets you .020, .010 .005, the .020 and .10 will get you to 1000 yards with a 308.)

With the offset base you can't get back to 100 yard zero with some scopes. With the Signature Zee rings you can get back to normal just by changing the inserts. They also don't need to be lapped and don't marr your scopes.

check out:
http://www.burrisoptics.com/solidrings.html

Don

[This message has been edited by Don G (edited 03-11-2002).]

<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
Nightforce tapered bases(2 piece) will give you 20MOA. You can use any Weaver style ring with them. The bases are around $75.00.

The ULTIMATE rings to use with these bases are Badger Ord. rings. The standard rings are .823" high. Torque the ring clamp bolts to 60in./pounds. The rings are around $150.00.

This is the set up I have on a long range .300Win. With a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 scope, I'm just a few .25Min clicks up from mechanical zero to be dead on at 300 yards. The scope has 95MOA(total) of elevation. Also this ring/base setup gives just enough clearance under the 56mm objective.

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Surprised nobody said hold gun higher!

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote