New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Replacement Bolt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can a new bolt be used in a 700 action? I currently have a magnum action and I am thinking of having a 338-06 made. Can a replacement bolt be found or bought? I am assuming the bolt and action would need to be trued but would there need to be any other modifications? Thanks

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no real reason a bolt couldn't be substituted as the actions are pretty much the same. There are some magazine differences. The differences would most likely require a mag change also. Perhaps it would be simpler and cheaper in the long run to simply sell the magnum action and buy a LA in a standard caliber. The differences in the mag are due to the width required for the belted rounds.

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
JAB:

It is next to impossible to find a Model 700 Bolt on the open market, and Remington does not want to sell any. That said, the magizine rails are different, and may give feeding problems with standard cartridges. If you can find a bolt, Remington LA's are all the same length, magnum or standard, but you still have the rails to deal with. The advice to sell and get a standard LA might be the right way to go.

Good Luck

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every now and then someone has one for sale on eBay. Worth a look.

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
<David>
posted
Check out this link.

http://benchrest.com/timeprecision/

Look at the price list. He shows Rem 700 replacement bolts for $264. It doesn't say if these are for long or short actions or what bolt face. Time Precision is a custom action manufacturer, so I suspect they can provide whatever flavor bolt you want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I heard Remington will sell you a new replacement bolt for about $200. The catch is, you need to send it in since the headspacing does vary some. I doubt they would sell you a standard bolt if your rifle is a mag. The rails are a problem as stated before, so I'll reiterate, its probably better to get a new rifle already set up for the 06 case.

Posts: 135 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington put a new bolt in a ks for me for $100.00 but they will only sell if they can proof fire it..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAB,

The first "Letter to the editor" in last month's "Precision Shooting" magazine addressed this question. Apparently, Remington will NO LONGER sell replacement bolts for self/gunsmith-installation. The LTTE also included an aftermarket source that will provide all Rem bolt configurations, so you might want to find a copy. If you can not locate one, PM me with your fax number and I'll get you a copy next week.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a long action remington 700 bolt for sale. It is the .30-'06 bolt and will fit your action. There is another sloution; I can do a Sako extractor mod to your existing bolt and make it the correct head size. E-mail me.

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a customer bring in a 300 Ultra-Mag in a 700 with a synthetic stock that he really liked. We turned it into a 338-06 with no problem. I reduced the bolt face, put a Sako extractor, added another plunger-ejector and changed the follower. It really was a very straight forward operation.

Michael S.