New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bead blast barrel finish question.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a local gunsmith install a stainless steel barrel. The matte bead blast finish is a little rough for my taste. What would one use to smooth it up? I was thinking crocus cloth or polishing compound.
He did another rifle for me and the matte finish on it is as smooth as a babies butt. I should of had him redo it, but I hate to moan and piss about such minor detail. I figured it would give me something to do on these cold winter days.

Rem. 222

Posts: 516 | Location: Ar. | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brush that thing with some fine Scotch Bite pads. Use some automobile polishing compound with it if possible. Brownells also has tons of polishing stuff that you may want to check it out. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mingo,
You had to go and mention Scotch Brite pads. These pads are WMD's in my hands. I used one to clean our new SS kitchen sink. It now looks like hammered sh*t. I'm glad the wife hadn't noticed it, if she does I'll blame it on the kids. They can get by with that kind of thing. I'm supposed to know better.
Seriously If I get brave enough I will give it a try.
Thanks

Rem. 222

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Buff the barrel on a wire wheel. Get the barrel oily first & use a light touch. Wear safety glasses whenever using a wire wheel. This is a variation of the so called "Tampico" finish.
 -

[ 02-23-2003, 22:04: Message edited by: D Humbarger ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let the gunsmith re-do it, it is a big deal if it's bothering you ...All he has to do is buff it out and re-bead with the finer beads that he used on your second gun...Apparantly he used the wrong beads on the first one...How long has he been a gunsmith?

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Rem 722---

Could it be you confused *grades* of Scotch Brite pad you used on the sink?

I don't think that's the fault of the *abrasive*......maybe you thought it was "cleaner". I'll bet you figure out the difference pretty soon. [Smile]

You in a heap a trouble, boy!!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your best bet is to simply blame it on your wife. The sink that is, you won't get far blaming the barrel finish on her. If you do the dishes when it's not expected then after draining ask "What the heck have you done to this sink!?",it might work. Stand firm.
As for the barrel the wire wheel works fine as does getting the gunsmith to redo it. He may have switched beads due to cost though and it will be tough to get him to lay out too much for your rifle. I personally don't like them too rough either. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3764 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I've tried that routine before, she sees right through it. I'm a terrible liar.
As for the barrel if I get brave or real bored I might try the wire wheel. I do have access to a buffing wheel, I might give it a try.

Rem. 222

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem 222

There are differant grades of glass beads from course to very fine. If you use very fine you must polish the metal to at least 320 grit or even 400 grit to make it look good. Some use a course grade of glass beads so they only have to polish the metal to 180 grit. Remington for example. It saves them a lot of work but does not do much for appearance, a sign of shoddy work.

I would ask the gunsmith to redo it.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Bearclaw has the best approach. Oil the barrel and wire wheel brush it! It will look a whole lot better. I've had no luck at all with the scotch brite pads. That's amateur hour stuff!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask your gunsmith to re-do it, It shouldn't take him more than 15 minutes, he probably won't even have to re-polish it. It's almost impossible to screw up a bead blast finish, makes you wonder how good the barreling job is.

Posts: 79 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
He didn't screw up the finish. I'm thinking we had a communication problem. That's why I didn't say anything. He did me a favor actually. He squared the receiver,lapped the bolt lugs, chambered, bead blasted, bedded the stock, and contoured the barrel all for about $200. This is why I can't bitch too much.
As for shooting it's averaging .533" 5shot groups @100yds. This is every different type of bullet and powder combination I have tried so far (including fliers). The most accurate being the 70gr Sierra Match HP's. They are averaging in the mid .3's. I have some 66gr Fowlers that should get me into the high .1's to low .2's.
BTW the rifle is a Rem700VLS fitted with a Douglas premium SS 24" barrel chambered in 6mmBR.
When I get my hands on some more cash the factory stock is going into the woodpile for a McMillan, and hopefully I can spring for a Jewell trigger.

Rem. 222

[ 02-24-2003, 21:00: Message edited by: Rem. 222 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's good shootin 222, Sounds like he did a hell of a job for the price. Shootin like that with different loads i'd be afraid to change anything. I'd still bring it back to him, explain the communication problem and tell him exactly what you want. If your lucky he'll do it for nothin, if not it still won't cost you much and you'll be happier with the end result.

Posts: 79 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oil the barrel and use fine steel wool on it. That will tone the blasting down nicely. I just wrap the steel wool around the barrel and move it up and down the length of the barrel. Like you know...well you got the idea.

Posts: 16 | Location: Augusta, GA | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A follow up to this. I took some Flitz metal polish and a soft cloth to it. It smoothed it up quite a bit.

Rem. 222