THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need a good riflesmith in Austin/San Antonio area

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a good riflesmith in Austin/San Antonio area
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Tip Burns is changing careers. He was my go to guy.

Hank Fleming is not an option for me any more.

Recommendations?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Man Tip would have been the name I gave you.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too. What;s up with tip. Down under for the past 9 mos.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I hate to see Tip leave the gumsmithing trade. However, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

With all the horror stories about gunsmiths, and I was involved in one, finding Tip Burns, (Thanks Bob Cuyler) was a breath of fresh air and one of the best things that ever happen to me!
He always told the truth, no Bull Shit! He completed projects in a timely manner. He always took the time to talk to me when I called!

Best of all we fell into a friendship that will continue. I wish him well!

I'll turn my gunsmithing over to Dustin Mounts, Rosharon, Texas 281-431-0240 !

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
its a long drive for you but check out James Mills in the Lubbock area... he's savvy to big bores and does a timely job.. his place is "Long Range Innovations"... I, too am sorry to see Tip go. He's done great work for me in the past... and I look fwd to seeing him in Dallas at the DSC in the Mauser Booth...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2834 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did not specify what you need done so I'm just giving you names to check.
HCR in New Braunfels.
Rifles Inc in Pleasanton.
J Earl Bridges in LaVernia if you have plenty of time to wait.
Nagels in SA has a smith that built a rifle for a client of mine.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
General gunsmithing/metal work; no woodwork:

1. Rebarrel
2. Rebore
3. Finishing
4. Odd jobs (Tip was the master of this stuff)
5. Bolt handles
6. Iron Sights
7. 3 Pos Safety on Mauser

What I really need right now is some to help with iron sight calibration and metal smithing on a 9.3x57.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add Kleingunther in Seguin
Call one of the older established gun clubs and see if they know any smiths that might help

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank Smith in Comanche Texas:
http://www.lsgmfg.com/
He has migrated toward specialty work, but anything he does is top shelf.
He did a fantastic job on a pre-war model 70 in 375 H&H for me.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What career is Tip heading towards? He did a fair bit of work for me and was just a 30 minute drive away. I thank Rusty for cluing me in.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think he is headed toward the oil and gas industry!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a bad industry. Been working for me for 30 years. I wish him well.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
Not a bad industry. Been working for me for 30 years. I wish him well.

I agree! My family has been involved in it since 1951! Charles A. Templeton Machine, Inc. Odessa, Texas

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I heard that Tip was taking piano lessons....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2834 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think Tip went to work for Mauser?

Couple of gunsmiths you may try:
Ron Bartlett(820)741-7167(Hondo)
Charles Worrell(830)997-8821(Fredericksburg)

Posts: 339 | Location: tx | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtb:
Think Tip went to work for Mauser?

Couple of gunsmiths you may try:
Ron Bartlett(830)741-7167(Hondo)
Charles Worrell(830)997-8821(Fredericksburg)

Posts: 339 | Location: tx | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tip was my go to guy also. When he informed he was getting out of the business he referred me to Pete Piper in Hempstead, Tx. Pete's business name is Precision Barrel Work. Ph number 1-978-826-2563.

He did excellent work on my rifle, on time and his prices were comparable to Tips.

Give Pete a call.

Hook em Horns

Posts: 331 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lrich:
Tip was my go to guy also. When he informed he was getting out of the business he referred me to Pete Piper in Hempstead, Tx. Pete's business name is Precision Barrel Work. Ph number 1-978-826-2563.

He did excellent work on my rifle, on time and his prices were comparable to Tips.

Give Pete a call.

Thanks! I'll give him a call!

BTW - Gig'em Aggies!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter, sending you a PM

Hook em Horns

Posts: 331 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lrich:

Give Pete a call.

Bummed he won't work on Mauser's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rusty:
I hate to see Tip leave the gumsmithing trade. However, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

With all the horror stories about gunsmiths, and I was involved in one, finding Tip Burns, (Thanks Bob Cuyler) was a breath of fresh air and one of the best things that ever happen to me!
He always told the truth, no Bull Shit! He completed projects in a timely manner. He always took the time to talk to me when I called!

QUOTE]

Same here!

You might also try Mark Pharr in Roundrock. Don't have his number handy but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
He's big in silouette shooting.
Pete Pieper in Hempstead is real good. He did a 22-250 for me.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Pete Piper doesn't do Mausers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I agree! My family has been involved in it since 1951! Charles A. Templeton Machine, Inc. Odessa, Texas

Nice website.

http://www.texascustomrifles.com/index.html

Travis is a great guy to deal with. I don't think he'll do mausers though. He usually kicks that work to me.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rusty:

QUOTE]

Same here!

You might also try Mark Pharr in Roundrock. Don't have his number handy but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
He's big in silouette shooting.
Pete Pieper in Hempstead is real good. He did a 22-250 for me.

I met with Mark Pharr this morning. His shop is at his house and is located about 5 minutes from where I lived from 1994 to 2000.

I really liked him and was impressed with his shop: the equipment he had, cleanliness, the different project he had going, and his wide range of work he does. He's also a competitive shooter. Anyway, when he was in gunsmith school his desire was to do custom Mausers and showed me a great many picture of his work back then. Nowadays, he does a lot of work on competitive rifles.

Anyway, he took the time to meet with me and we checked out the barrel on the Husqvarna M98 9.3x57 I brought in with his bore scope and agreed it was good to go with a rechamber. He is also going to weld up a butterknife handle I got from Tony Smalls and then blue the entire barreled action. Finally, he's making a muzzle brake thread protector for a 458 win mag I have. It came with the muzzle brake when I bought. Don't plan to hunt DG with it on, but it will be nice for load development and hog shooting.

I'll let you know how things work out. Feel pretty good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter,
I've been to his shop/house too a few years back but I'll be damned if I could find it again.
Pharr has a access to a younger gentleman who is very talented with stock work and making wood stocks.
This young man is a friend of mine whom you might be aware of as he also did most of Mr. Tip's stock work.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This list has been most helpful, as I too am having difficulties finding a smith to do some custom work. I have been to 3 prominent smiths so far and none are interested in building a full length follower for my 600 OK. Perhaps Mr Pharr will be the man for the job. Good to know he likes Mausers. I have a bunch of unfinished Mauser projects.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote