THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Questions about a ported barrel on a gun I bought

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about a ported barrel on a gun I bought
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I recently bought a .458 WM in an old model 70 SuperGrade made in 1957. The barrel has been ported. The person I bought it from said it was done in the Winchester custom shop.

Questions:
1) Is this as effective as a brake?

2) If not, could a brake be installed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36846 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
never heard ofWinchester custom shop porting a gun, but maybe they did. A brake is more effective, and yes, you can add one to any barrel.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Porting a barrel and a muzzle brake are the same thing. Through extensive tests were i use to work,we found that depending on the design recoil was reduced up to 43%.The design that we tested that turned out to be the best was Magna-Porting.van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I understand that they are similar techniques aimed at the same end result. I guess what I am getting at is the fact that this rifle kicks the hell out of me with the ported barrel. Is a brake likely to be more efficient and reduce recoil more? And is there any other method to rduce recoil?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36846 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I understand that they are similar techniques aimed at the same end result. I guess what I am getting at is the fact that this rifle kicks the hell out of me with the ported barrel. Is a brake likely to be more efficient and reduce recoil more? And is there any other method to rduce recoil?

A muzzle brake, or, porting alone probably wont give you the relief you're looking for. Stock shape, recoil pad, weight and shooting technique all directly affect felt recoil. You might want someone familiar with stock fit to look at it, and you, to see if there is a problem with the fit, or, with the way you lock into the rifle.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand that they are similar techniques aimed at the same end result. I guess what I am getting at is the fact that this rifle kicks the hell out of me with the ported barrel.
Hey Ledvm, On the MagnaPorted rifles and shotguns I've fired, the only benefit I noticed was that the barrel DID NOT rise as much during recoil. It did help retain the sight picture by causing the firearm to come back straighter into the shoulder, so there was less chance of a "Stock Kiss" on the cheek.

I've not experienced anywhere close to the 43% Recoil Reduction that Van mentioned, but perhaps that was due to the Cartridges and shells the firearms were chambered for.

quote:
Is a brake likely to be more efficient and reduce recoil more?
Depends on the style, but it sure will crank up the volume of the Report.

quote:
And is there any other method to rduce recoil?
Yes!

If your rifle does not have a Decellerator Recoil Pad, that would be the first thing I'd change.

Then I'd recommend you simply down-load the 458Win and shoot it a lot. You will eventually become accustomed to the Recoil and can then add a bit more fuel to the Load. This accomplishes much more than ANYTHING else you can possibly do to make you comfortable with the rifle - it just takes some Trigger Time.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have shot it quite a bit and can shoot it well. It is a shooter rifle. Never thought a .458 would shoot like that (1" groups off bench @ 100 almost every time). i just don't think I'll ever come to enjoy just shootin' it the way it is.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
P.S.
What about those mercury recoil managing devices? Any good?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And is there any other method to rduce recoil?

Shoot a lighter weight bullet.

Use less gunpowder.

Add weight to the stock.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...1" groups off bench @ 100 almost every time...
Hey Ledvm, That is outstanding. Now that you are there, it is time to "get off the Bench". Load up a bunch and practice from all the shooting positions you intend to use.

Nothing useful will be gained from more Bench Shooting your 458Win with that accuracy level.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote