New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swedish Mauser trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need help determining whether a Timney trigger installed in an M96 is correct. I have had no luck getting any kind of a response from Timney.
The problem is it very difficult to cycle the bolt after firing. The cocking piece is not over riding the sear. Once the cocking piece is clear of the sear, the bolt opens, closes, cocks, and fires normally. The rear of the cocking piece was ground by the owner in attempt to get it to override the sear--unsuccessful.
The trigger is only marked "Timney" and the sear is in the shape of a quarter of a circle with the rounded portion facing forward. Current production Timney triggers have very different sears. I would like to learn if the right trigger is in the rifle and if it is really necessary to alter the cocking piece. Just thought I'd ask before I start ordering a new trigger and cocking piece. Thanks & Merry Christmas! Roger

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you have sounds like a Timney Sportsman trigger. Is the overtravel on the trigger set too close?

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slivers,
Yes, I believe it is a Sportsman trigger. I have turned all three adjustment screws from stop to stop without effect. Upon closer inspection, it appears that very top of the trigger where it mates with the sear is not moving forward enough when the bolt is opened; the sear depresses about 1/2 way, then the front edge of the sear contacts the top of the trigger effectively stopping further movement. The trigger has plenty of over travel & I'm not sure how to fix things. Many thanks! BTW, I've installed about a bushel of Timney M98 triggers and never experienced a similar problem.

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You need a flat bottom cocking piece. Prevents resetting of the trigger too early. For a 96 you weld onto the rear of it to eliminate the angled part.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I understand a 12-year old simian can TIG weld, but for a measly $18 one can buy a NOS M96 cocking piece on Ebay. I suspected the ground cocking piece had something to do with the problem.
I hope you have a Merry Christmas! Now that I'm in Georgia, I can have grits and squirrel for Christmas. Do you still follow WV hillbilly tradition and have possum and moonshine for the holiday meal?
Roger

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ha, yes I can catch all the possums I want here, but as for Moonshine, they sell that at the PX.
Merry Christmas to you too.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have 2 Swedes with Timney triggers on them.

The older silver Timney trigger works but the clearance between the back of the sear slot in the receiver and the back corner edges of the sear are very close
Perhaps checking to see that the sear indeed has enough back movement to clear the tip of the trigger with out binding in the sear slot would be of help

JW

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5 X 55 M96 wth an old Timney trigger. Works fine. No idea what specific Timney trigger it is, tho'.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote