Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting a scope on a Sako 85S
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted
I have a simple question regarding mounting a Swarovski PV 1.5x6-42 scope on a Sako 85 S stainless in 338 Federal Caliber.

I noticed the instructions for the Sako rings and bases indicated the rear if the front base and ring should be flush with the front of the opening in the receiver loading gate. However, if I were to slide the base all the way to the front where it snugs in place from the tapered slot on the receiver, it seems to me that is much more secure this way. It moves forward a good half inch, so this is a lot.

If I make the rear of it flush the receiveropening, it certainly looks better, but the only thing holding it in place is the set screw.

It would seem to me that it would make more sense to slide it all the way forward and have the taper lock it in place, then the set screw only has to hold it there instead of holding the entire assembly to the rifle.

Any thoughts on this? Given it is a 338 Federal, I don't expect recoil to be a big deal but why push unwanted scope movement at the worst possible time?

Thanks,

RobertD

RobertD

I prefer my fish raw, my meat extra rare, and P.E.T.A on the BBQ. Any questions?

(Pork Enhanced Through Alcohol)

Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member CRPA
SCI Golden Gate Chapter
www.woodpeckings.com

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
Additional Information:

After I re-read what I wrote I realized I should make this more clear.

The top of the receiver is grooved on the top to accept the bases. The front groove width is tapered so that as the base slides on it toward the front, the taper widens. This forces the base to become a snug fit in the groove.

What the instructions want me to do is NOT slide the base all the way forward to become a snug fit. Rather they want me to fit it flush to the front of the cartridge opening in the receiver. This means the front base is now loose on the receiver and the only thing that will tighten it is the set screw.

If I slide the front base all the way forward, the base is already a snug fit before I tighten the set screw. This makes more sense to me although it doesn't look as pretty with the bases farther apart and not lined up with the opening in the receiver.

I can't figure a reason why the instructions want say to mount it this way other than just cosmetics.

If this still isn't clear, I will try to post a few pictures.

Thanks!

RobertD

I prefer my fish raw, my meat extra rare, and P.E.T.A on the BBQ. Any questions?

SCI Golden Gate Chapter
www.woodpeckings.com

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could possibly glue the bases on the receiver; that will definitely keep them in place.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
True, I could glue them, an idea that has some merit when it comes to recoil affecting the sights.

The problem is these bases allow the scope to be removed. The other problem is if I ever had to repair one of the rings, I would be in trouble!

My concern here is there is something going on besides cosmetics, although if this is the case I haven't been able to figure it out.

Unless someone has some good information about this, I am tempted to just slide it all the way forward and forget it.

Thanks!

RobertD

SCI Golden Gate Chapter
www.woodpeckings.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert, you are right, sometimes instructions aren't all that. slide the bases forward til they are snug, and then tap them on REAL snug with a nylon or brass faced mallet. The dovetail is what hold the bases on Sako's snug, not the set screw.

good luck

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
Thank-You!

This is what I figured but I wanted someone who did it before to tell me I was right.

RobertD

RobertD

SCI Golden Gate Chapter
www.woodpeckings.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
No worries Robert, I've got a whole bunch of sako's with dovetails, and a lot of experience with all kind of different mounts.

Good shooting to you!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote