New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy. Free floated barrel.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What happens if a gun has a barrel that is actually free floated? None of the bedding material touching the barrel at all.
I've always been told to bed the first inch or so of barrel for maximum accuracy.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you actually think free floating means?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always been told to bed the first inch or so of barrel for maximum accuracy.

You mean first inch or so in front of the action? I normally bed the first 2" of a flat bottom action like the Mauser. Nothing on the barrel for a round like a 700. Most benchrest rifles are bedded(or glued in) action only nothing touches teh barrel.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
What do you actually think free floating means?

That's why I was asking. The 1000 yd benchrest guys I know all bed the action, and the first inch or 2 of the barrel. I've often heard the term free floated expressed as though it increases accuracy. But it is not practiced in the crowds I personally have shot with.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've often heard the term free floated expressed as though it increases accuracy.

To me bedding only the action or the action and 1-2" and floating the rest of the barrel are still free floated. Sometimes on longer heavy barrels people will add the extra 1-2" for more support.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the theory on bedding the first inch or so of the barrel is to give the barrel some support and not place all it's weight on the receiver, threads, and shank.

There are instances where free float barrels won't shoot. I had one a few years ago. Built me a 260 Rem and free floated the barrel. Well the barrel was a "walker". I ended up having to put a pressure bedding pad near the tip of the forearm. That did it.