THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anyone have information on the action used in Cooper rifles

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have information on the action used in Cooper rifles
 Login/Join

<Mike McGuire>
posted
I have not been able find much except I think it is a 3 lug push feed with Sako extractor.

Is it a round action with washer type recoil lug.

Looking the action that is for 270.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I believe it is a round action 3 lug Sako style extractor. Small claiber don't have a recoil ring. Larger caliber have a ring in the front like a M700. I've never had one out of the stock just running on what I have heard and or read and key "think I remember"

I would suggest an email to the directly.

Phone: 406-777-0373, Fax: 406-777-5228, email: info@cooperfirearms.com.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three lug, push feed, centerfires are either single shots or center feed DBM style. I have several, single shots in 204 Ruger, and 223, 5 round mag fed 17 HMR, 270 Win, 280 AI, in the Model 52--center feed DBM that holds three down.

All of them are damn accurate. The recoil lug setup does vary from the little cartridges to the bigger ones.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:

I would suggest an email to the directly.

Phone: 406-777-0373, Fax: 406-777-5228, email: info@cooperfirearms.com.

Too simple, never thought of it Big Grin

<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Three lug, push feed, centerfires are either single shots or center feed DBM style. I have several, single shots in 204 Ruger, and 223, 5 round mag fed 17 HMR, 270 Win, 280 AI, in the Model 52--center feed DBM that holds three down.

All of them are damn accurate. The recoil lug setup does vary from the little cartridges to the bigger ones.

What is the finish and wood like and general function. Thinking of the Custom Classic, the one listed at $3200US in 270

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, their fit is VERY good, and function has been great for me. The larger caliber centerfires I have are very accurate and feed great. The triggers are very good, although you need to remove the barreled action from the stock to adjust it. None of my triggers have any overtravel to speak of, and after reducing the pull weight a bit, are very good IMO.The bolts are not as smooth right out of the box as some other rifles that are comparable level IMO, but I believe that is due to their tight tolerances, I have slicked them up with some 'Action Magic' from Brownells, and a lot of cycling, and it has made a difference--This doesn't actually bother me, I feel it is a good action made precisely.

The synthetic stock 270 I have is a very good stock, I'm not sure of the mfg. of the stock, they may make it in house, but I doubt that, but it is very solid and not flimsy like some factory syn stocks, it is comparable to the Weatherby Syn stocks, and maybe rivals my McMillan stocks. I have the 270 and 280 AI in wooden 'Jackson Hunter' style stocks, and I really like them. They are very stable and I have some good looking wood on mine, though I have seen a lot with really plain looking wood....You can single feed the Model 52 at the bench if you want.

I have used Talley mounts on all of mine except the 17 and the 204, which came with Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts included, so I am still using them so far. The 270's are absolute tack drivers, the synthetic I got produced a 'Cooper Advertising Group' right from the get go...I'll see if I can post the link to that thread.

Cooper Thread

I highly recommend these rifles, I am impressed in general, and they have a strong reputation for accuracy.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only one. A model 22 single shot in 22-250, The action on mine is smooth, the trigger good, and accuracy is great. I had a little trouble with group sizes growing two years ago. I pulled the barreled action out of the stock, made sure the barrel was free floated and did a little more bedding. The factory bedding was minimal at best. The stock warped just slightly so I had to open the barrel channel a little on the right side. Accuracy returned and was even better than before. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
Thanks for all that.

What has me interested is we now have an agent for them in Australia.

Do the actions take mounts for Rem 700/M70 or are they unique to Cooper.

Their website indicates lots of options and especially with wood.

They seen to be very good value. A Wby Mark V 270 Wby with comparable wood (similar level of Claro) to the Custom Classic, all steel bottom metal and Kreigher cut rifling barrel plus a few things like jewelled bolt and checkered bolt handle would hit $5000US.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mounts are unique to Cooper. The front and rear receiver rings are the same diameter.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do the actions take mounts for Rem 700/M70 or are they unique to Cooper.

Don't think they take the 700s nver compared the numbers. Anyway most places like Midway list the bases for the Coopers.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own three Coopers but they are all rimfires. Both Talley and Leupold makes mounts for them and when they are built they come with the mounts of your choice. Fit and finish is excellent.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted