New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duracoat finish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to refinish a Savage rifle that has a cheap blue finish. I only shoot it at the range and it does not get a lot of rough use. Would one of the spray on finishes work well? How durable are they? Has anyone used Duracoat on a rifle?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I have. They chip, scratch and look like paint because that's what it is. It'll work but.....

I would look at parkarizing or a matte blue refinish. There really isn't much difference in price.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used Kun Kote. It works pretty well. Has help up for every trips to the Mtns. But, has to be baked on.

I've bought the Duracoat and never used it.

I switched to bead blasted blueing.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put Gun Kote on several AR uppers and one lower and various parts like sling swivels and scope rings and it holds up pretty well so far. Parts must be sandblasted before application.

Only complaint I have is it seems to be slightly different shade each time I use it. I don't know if it is the humidity, temp, mixture or what, but if you spray everything on an individual gun with the same batch at the same time....everything matches just fine.

I use the kitchen oven to bake it, but only do it when wife is gone for the day...takes awhile to do an "air exchange" in the house. I've found a batch of cinnamin rolls when you're done makes a great "cover scent".

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I think the proper application is as important as the product. I had the duracoat applied by Lauer, the creator of the product, and was very happy with it. I've seen others use the same stuff themselves and it was horrible. I've only used Gun Kote once, had pac nor do it, and it was terrible as well.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote