THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Cost of checkering and recommendations for someone to do the checkering

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of checkering and recommendations for someone to do the checkering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just bought a Dakota 243 that will need a basic checkering job on the grip and forearm.

Also, picked up three left handed Zastava's that I plan on reshaping the stock, sanding off the existing crap checkering and refinishing the stocks. Then all three will need the same basic checkering job.

What is a reasonable cost for a basic checkering job? Any recommendations on who to contact to do the work?

How about lazer checkering? Good? Bad? Remember these are all hunting rifles, not customs.

Thank you

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I have used Carol at Ahlmans in the past and plan to have her do my checkering jobs in the future.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup call carol - you'll find she is quite good and very reasonable - you can look at their website at ahlmans.com. speaking of dakotas, i had here enlarge the patters on a matched set of them & you can't tell where she started or dakota left off

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Will give her a shout after the Dakota arrives.

I know you pursuits will cringe at this, but have any of you had anyone lazer the stock with a checkering style pattern or stipling?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also try Tim at classiccheckering.com. He's fast and reasonable, and he's a gunsmith who has found his niche in woodwork.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider the following:
http://www.cgm-gunstockcheckering.com/frame.htm

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Jim Kobe (952 884 6031) to checker some guns. Excellents work. Don't recall the cost as it was part of a project, but like anything else, "you get what you pay for."
And after a poor checkering job is complete, you are screwed.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did finish another rifle for Dale, a Sako in 222 Rem on a fantastic piece of wood wtih wrap-around 22LPI checkering front and back.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I just did finish another rifle for Dale, a Sako in 222 Rem on a fantastic piece of wood wtih wrap-around 22LPI checkering front and back.

Hey Jim, what would a simple job similar this cost? 20 LPI wuld be good.

I want it done on this.

PM me if you are interested.

Dan

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an update. Sent the Dakota stock to Alhmans guessing towards the middle to end of October. Asked them to refinish the stock along with the checkering so expected it to take longer than expected.
Stock came in todays mail and it would pass as new. I would give them a 9.5 on both the checkering and refinishing. Neither the checkering or the finish is perfect but both look really good. Certaintly worth the cost and I would use them again. The checkering is very functional. For a hunting rifle I am happy with the choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what specifics made you rate the work 9.5 instead of 10?