THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Floor plate release catch activating upon firing.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floor plate release catch activating upon firing.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Dear all

I have just fitted some Callahan bottom metal to my Stiller Pred 7 Mag.

It is the type with the Oberdorf release catch.

All looked great but upon firing the rifle it appears the release catch activates and floor plate springs open and spits out any ammo in the mag etc!

This sometimes happens on first firing but sometimes on the second firing.

Has hanyone encountered this before with this style of bottom metal?

Does anyone know of a remedy apart from sending it back?

I was thinking a stronger spring (release catch) might remedy the problem.

Any/all ideas and feed back greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JB

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This problem crops up from time to time. We make sure we have a pretty darn strong spring and time the releass so that the button must be pressed with vigor just a little past the inside radius.

Various secondary locks can be fabricated

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Duane

Many thanks for the reply.

Could I ask another couple of questions?

Just wondered if you could expand on this part of your reply "and time the releass".

Also do you know where I could get a stronger spring from that works?

Thanks in advance

JB

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure...I mean that you have to push like hell to get the release to go far enough forward to release..i.e. plenty of latch contacting the floorplate trunnion, lump..whatever you want to call it.

I'd be happy to drop a couple of springs in the mail, but surely even a hardware store might be a good place to start...or perhaps an auto parts store.

If you can't come up with anything, send me a PM

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
JB,

Are you certain that your stock is not inletted too deeply for the new bottom metal? On occasion in this event the floorplate may hit the edge of the stock and not "lock" in under the release correctly.

Are you certain that your stock is not inletted too deeply for the new bottom metal? On occasion in this event the floorplate may hit the edge of the stock and not "lock" in under the release correctly.

The easiest way to check for this is to try placing a thin set of washers on top of your pillars before inserting your action screws. This will raise the triggerguard up out of the inletting slightly and you should immediately notice a more positive closure of the floorplate under the release mechanism.

JC

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane

Yes I am on the case here in the UK and I will see what I can find (very kind offer by the way if I hit a brick wall). The other thing I am going to look at is that I have some original Rem bottom metal and I will see if I can get the spring out of that as I never had issues with that set up. I know it is a different design (i.e. not Oberndorf) but I will try thisfirst.

JC

Yes I had that issue initially but actually just to double check I will do what you suggest as that is a good idea. I am sure I have sorted this issue out though but always worth checking of course.

Thanks again both

Best

Jon