New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Barrels
 Login/Join

posted
Howdy,

I'm new to AR. Seems like a pretty good place to ask some questions.

I'm purchasing one of the SA M1999. So far everything I have read has been fairly positive. Does anyone have any information on their barrels?? If you have one ... would you buy one again?

Thanx

George

Posts: 3 | Location: College Station, Texas | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of them, all chrome moly, a 30-221, 6Br, and 7mm RSAUM. No problems so far as to fouling, very accurate so far, just too cold here to get serious about anything.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two of them, both stainless, one on a Ruger in .308 Norma, the other on a Browning in .284 Winchester. They are both very accurate, and foul very little compared to most factory barrels I've dealt with. They aren't a Hart or Shilen match grade, but they cost about half as much also. For a hunting rifle, they are certainly as good as one needs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in their shop I looked at some barrels that were in the process and had been drilled and reamed but were not rifle yet. The drilling and reaming was well done as far as finish was concerned but not as straight as some others I have seen. They are straightend prior to rifling though and properly stress relieved afterwards. I bought a blank to try it out and will report on the results. This is a chromoly blank in 338 and I'll probably make a 338 mag out of it. It is a smooth, good looking barrel and I expect it to work well. By the way, they are button rifled. I think they are a good value. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank-you gentlemen. As I said before, I ordered one of their short actions that I plan on making into a 7-08 or .308 and making as light as possible. (Therefore probably a 7-08 @ 20" #2 (maybe #1) contour.) Their price is is $278 for the barrel installed onto the action. Not bad when compared to Shillen or Pac-nor, about $160 less. I was wondering if this savings was worth it or to go with a better known barrel manufacturer. But if there are those out there getting good results ... I may just have them do it. But a Shillen match barrel sounds real nice [Smile]

Again ... Thanx

George

Posts: 3 | Location: College Station, Texas | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote