New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley QD installation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone give me some guidance on the best way to mounts the Talley QD rings? I've never mounted vertical split rings before, only the horizontal. I'm used to mounting the bottom half, loosely mounting the scope, leveling the reticle, and snugging things down. With the verticals, it looks like mounting the rings on the gun will also tighten the scope in the rings. How the do you level the reticle?

Help would be appreciated. No instructions came with the rings. I guess they assume if you're buying Talley's, you know what you're doing!

Posts: 141 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Install the mounts first (degrease the reciever, screw holes, threads, and bases first).

After degreasing the rings and scope tube, install the rings onto the tube, but do not tighten yet.

Mate the rings to the bases, and tighten the bottom screw (or lever) just enough to hold things together. The scope should still slide and rotate within the rings.

If the scope is variable magnification (and eye relieft is NOT constant), turn it up to the maximum and slide the scope back or forward to achieve optimum eye relief. Rotate the scope until the cross-hairs are vertical, and tighten down the rings alternating between the top screw and bottom screw (or lever).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS,

Thanks, I think I get it. I'll get all 10 of my thumbs going on this tonite!

Posts: 141 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With Quote