Find
Notify
Tools

Rate this stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted
Doing some window shopping at Dressels website. This stick of Bastogne caught my eye with the striping though the action/forearm area. With the grain flow would it be OK to use with a fairly stiff recoiling rifle? I know the ideal is a more horizontal flow in those areas. Rifle would be a M70 Classic, .300 Wby Mag.

Thanks,
Dennis

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Holy big picture, batman!!

Wasn't this big on Dressels website --- sorry about that

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw that one on Dressels web site also, can't remember the price, even though I like English, its a nice blank, but I like a blank 2 1/2 thick. Dressels has some good blanks and they are dry, but on the skinny side for many rifles.

If you like and its not to small, buy it, I think its a nice blank. You can always send it back if you dont like it, Dressels are good people and good to deal with.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Thanks Peter & Roger.

After talking with Larry from Serengeti and Sharon from Dressels I chose this one instead as it's one of their. thickest blanks. Sharon stated this stock has alot of finer detail and fiddleback that doesn't photo well.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I think i would pass on either one of these, for a custom rifle... The grain may be tons better on the second one, but either suit me.

rate them? stock 1: ... 4, stock 2, (since I can't see more detail) 4.5

Bill was offering better blanks that what this one LOOKS like from these pics.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
I get what your saying, Jeffe. However I think they're both good for the $400 Dressels was asking for them. YEs it's a custom but it's going to be a hard working rifle as well. As in my one and only by the time I'm done.

THanks for the comments

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dsmith,

You should be able to do better than that for $400 from Dressels. Sometimes the photos do not do justice to the blanks and of course it is always better to see them in person.

I spent near $20K on their wood pile last year and it is worth the effort to look at it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Thank, Chic. Sharon mentioned if I wasn't happy with it in person I can return it, no problems. There is no way I can get off to Washington from Texas to inspect wood in person. I'll just have to make do with the photo and Sharon's description. The $400 is actually reduced from $500 I thought I was getting a bargin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I, personally don't like the layout of either stock you have shown us...

I would prefer a stock that the grain ran from the toe of the stock up through the grip and staight to the forend or in a slightly upward flow to the forend and the cross grain at the butt was straight across...I would prefer quarter sawn European, Turkish, California or some thin shell walnut that is dry and properly cured...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote