New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older 35 whelen custom chamber.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw a custom springfield 03 in 35 whelen the other day. It was onviously done a long time ago. I could tell by the redifield rings, the were the small diamiter like the old scopes used. It was prety cool with a nice old thumbhole stock I could use on the springfield I already have as i don't think the stock is right for a whelen.
My concern is about the chamber. Is it likley to be the same as that of the modern standard chambers ? heck there were probably lots of reamers around back when ever this thing was done. What do you think ? would it likey cause a dangerous headspace problem ? Or mabye just fire form the brass ? I could allways have it AI ed if its a little loose, or could I ?? thanks for any help. ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 35 Whelens of yesterday should be within specs of those of today. If you're considering buying such a gun and are the least bit concerned, have a gunsmith check it out for you. If the headspace were off, there are several options available to make it safe.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yo really have to have the rifle in hand to make a chamber cast. It probably will be OK for factory ammo, but for reloading you might want a custom sizing die.
SDH

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1827 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote