Find
Notify
Tools

Ed Shulin RIP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted
Just got an email that said Shulin has passed away.

He was one of my favorite teachers at TSJC.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first year as a TSJC student was his first year as a teacher. I visited him 10 years ago, now wish I had spent more time. We are diminished.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry to hear that. I only dealt with him one time. A couple of years ago I dropped a blank off at his house and he shaped it for my over the week we was in Colorado. He and his wife spent about 2 hrs talking to us like long lost buddies.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear about Ed Shulin. I went by for a visit in 1992 and TSJC hired me to take his place on the staff starting Jan. 1993. Ed helped lots of people wanting to learn stockmaking. He will be missed.

Les Brooks

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I was talking with a friend in Trinidad just yesterday, and he told me ED was not expected to make it very much longer. I didn't know ED had cancer, let alone it was very advanced. He will be missed.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's too bad, I liked Ed. When I was a student at Trinidad, Ed was young enough that wanted to hang out with some of the older students. Hit some of the bars, of course we know that there aren't any bars in Trinidad.

I was doing the Rocky Mountain Elk Show in Albuquerque in 1995 and Ed asked me if I have ever thought of teaching? The next year I was signed up to teach at Trinidad State in their NRA Summer program. I will miss Ed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark_Stratton:
Hit some of the bars, of course we know that there aren't any bars in Trinidad..

At least 75 back in the '60s, in a town of 9-10,000 at that time....
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know how many people were in town until election day. The state closed the bars and all those people were on the streets... They were waitting until the polls closed so they could get back in...

posted Hide Post
Yep, Ed was one of the good ones. The world seems like a little smaller place witout him in it. I had the good fortune of getting to know Ed and his wonderful wife Lee (an incredible landscape artist), when I taught school there in the 80's. He was always in a good mood and his sense of humor was infectious. His influence on hundreds of students in the stockmaking field will leave quite a legacy.
I will miss him.
Gary Kimball