New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mount Opinion for Sako 75
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased a sako 75 in 300 win. This is my first Sako. Excitement is high, but I have no background for what type of scope mount works well with this rifle. Optilock reads like a safe choice, but I would appreciate any feedback on what has worked well for others.

The scope to be mounted is a leupold VXIII 2.5-8. Thanks.

Posts: 126 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 24 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most mounts for Sako dovetails are pretty good. The exceptions would be the Weaver base adaptors (a true abomination) and the aluminum Warne which is said to try to separate the halves on heavier recoiling rifles.

The 2.5-8 is an excellent scope choice. With its 36mm objective, it can be mounted appropriately low. The problem with the Sako Optilocks is that they mount a scope far too high -- even in the lowest model. This drawback, added to the fact that they are both heavy and expensive mitigates against them.

I have original Sakos, Redfield (same as Burris), Leupold ringmounts, and Milletts on various of my Sakos. I like the Leupold Ringmounts the best (they are the lightest and most compact) and the "low" model will amply clear the objective on your 2.5-8x. Many people diss the Leupold, but although they may appear more delicate, I have them on a 7.5 lb .375 H&H where they have given me years of perfect service. Thus far I have them on a .223, .222 Magnum, 7mm STW, .308, .30-06, and .375 and they work perfectly on each. They also give you some fore-and-aft latitude unavailable in most other Sako mounts.

The Redfields are also very good. If you use a Redfield or Burris adapter base, use the low or even super low rings. I have these on a bunch of Sakos ranging from .243 through .300 Win Mag.

The Millett ring for Weaver bases works nicely. It uses a couple of tiny adapter bases and longer claws. It is necessary to buy separate low rings (they only come in med and high) to switch the claws, because, again, the med and high rings are only needed with 50mm objectives (or very heavy barrels).

There are some other good rings for the Sako dovetail, but some of them are pricey and none work better than those I've reviewed.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

Thank you for the detail in your reply. I really appreciate the help. I am eager to start shooting.

Posts: 126 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 24 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
I used the one piece optilock ring mounts on my Sako 75. They are pretty good but they would sit way too high for a 36mm scope. You would probably have 12 to 15 mm of clearance.

Leupold is a good choice. You may also want to consider Conetrol.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that Optilocks are the best choice for a Model 75 and have them on 8 of them. They aren't the lightest and are a little high for a smaller obj scope, but they don't slip under recoil, match the guns perfectly and never scratch your scope.
Leupold's slipped under recoil on the 300 Weatherby and 375 H&H I tried them on, I use a certified inch-lb wrench and they were properly installed and tightened according to specification. I wouldn't use the Leupold's on any magnum round especially with a heavier scope.
I didn't care for the Talley base system for Sako's though I use their rings on about everything else.
IMO the Millets are absolute junk. I've had them break and make them selves useless. I would avoid them like the plague.
I've not tried them but a couple of others have had good success with Conetrol's but they are expensive and don't match as well as the optilocks.
So in the end in my experience the Optilocks though not perfect are the best choice. Be sure and use a proper sized wrench when tightening them and be sure to use a hammer to lightly tap the wrench to make sure that it's properly set in the bottom of the screws. The screws are softer than you might be used too and if you don't use proper tightening technique you can ream out the heads. Be careful and they aren't a problem...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Optilocks should be supplied with a ladder!

Leupold ring mounts are the lowest commonly available mounts.

I have used the warnes on a 243 and liked them a lot - no slippage issues and they are very stoutly made. You can fit a 42mm objective and butler creeks with a very slight gap with their mediums (they do not do lows for sakos)

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have only used Optiloks and Talley's and of the two, I like the Talley's much better. They mount lower and look more svelt.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I have used Optiloks, Conetrols and Warne. I really like the Warne mounts and they would be my first pick. The Warne mounts I have are steel not aluminum.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 872 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Leupold's slipped under recoil

IMO the Millets are absolute junk. I've had them break and make them selves useless.

We sometimes have different experiences, or sometimes perceive the same experience in different ways.

With the Sako tapered dovetail the only way for a mount to slip under recoil is for the two halves of the clamp to widen (or in the case of an aluminum clamp, to deform). This would require the screw that holds the two halves together to stretch. All metal is elastic. The screw must be tensioned sufficiently that it is stretched by the torque in mounting enough that it will not stretch further as recoil attempts to wedge the dovetail tighter into the clamp. In my experience, the Leupold clamp screw is of sufficient diameter and sufficient tensile stregth that it is capable of holding firmly in place even under the recoil of a .375 H&H. There is really no difference in the way the Leupold attaches and the way the original Sako-made ringmounts attach, other than the rear Sako ringmount having a lug to hold it in place, and this lug is frequently ground off to allow the rear ringmount to be placed further forward (necessary with many variable scopes).

I have Milletts on a number of guns, including a .300 Win and .338 Magnum. All are performing perfectly. Maybe I've just been lucky and have avoided all the "bad" ones with poor metallugy and rotten screws.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote