THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Continuing Adventures With The Albatross: 375 H&H

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Continuing Adventures With The Albatross: 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
So I have the feeding worked over after sending this rifle Outside, it now feeds and functions well. I take it to the range to fire it and find the bolt binds so tightly I have to beat it open with a plastic hammer. I set it aside until I am off for Christmas break.

I now find when the firing pin is down, either by dry firing or holding the trigger down and closing the bolt, I have the same binding problem. The bolt needs to be pounded open. I saw a spot on the bolt that was highly polished, the contact spot being on the rear bridge. Using a jewelers file I shaved a little metal off that part. The bolt continues to bind. My receiver is now bent or the bolt is bent.

I can dope everything up with lapping compound and beat the bolt open about 100 times to get things smoothing up and then repolish it with finer grits. A messy job.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitroman - I am not familiar with this thread, but it sounds like a problem with the cocking cam - it is binding when you are trying to cock it. What kind of action is it?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
P-14 Enfield, cocks on closing.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Nitro,
You have an aftermarket trigger?

take your gune out of the stock and attempt to replicate the problem. the first time it does, drop the trigger out... the bolt should open fine.

if this is the case, reinstall the trigger, and following the manufactors guide for resetting the sear engagement, I think this is directly on the timney website

jeffe

Posts: 39615 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote