New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 in a small ring Mauser/
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know very little about Mausers in general, but have been toying with the idea of building a light rifle for deer hunting.
I'd like to know if a small ring(7x57)action would handle the pressures of the .260 cartridge, or do I need something "beefier"?

"and he that hath no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one"

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is OK pressure wise, but there are other issues that make 98's a better choice, i.e. the 98's better gas handling and cock on open. Many smallrings were 6.5 x 55 which is darn near a 260 anyway.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A small ring Mod. 98 (with small thread !!) can handle the pressure . I made up a .260 Rem and a .243 Win ( which are equal in pressure) on a Kurz commercial action. They passed proof without any problem.

Mod 96 and earlier Mauser types are not suited .

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you say 'small ring', this can mean anything from a M91 Argentine mauser, through a Spanish M93 to the Chilean M95 and Swedish M96 - not to mention the Turkish small ring - all of which designs predate the M98 large Ring Mauser. Many gunsmiths have few qualms about converting Swedish M96 to modern high pressure cartridges - a discussion is here http://parallaxscurioandrelicf...-in-M-96-Swede-.html.

The other 'small ring' that is around, are the M98 based Mausers, the WW1 M98a and the 1930's Czech VZ33 and the later German made G33/40. These are fully capable of taking the .260. Note that you have to alter the feed rails to properly feed the .260 case through. I have a VZ33 that I put a Swedish M38 6.5x55mm barrel on. My choice, I did not want to alter the feed rails.

Arte et Marte

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And for hair splitting...

The 1903 Springfield is essentially a small ring-large thread.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I should have clarified my post.

M94, M96, and M38 Swede small rings are true small rings; small ring receiver, small ring barrel thread. Plenty strong. Poorer gas handling and have cock on open which is awkward and add more expense to converting to a nice sporter.

Kar 98a is a small ring 98 with small ring receiver diameter and largew ring barrel. I have used a bunch of these through the years in 8mm, 30-06, and 257 Roberts and Improved. I like them. They do have issues. They are very thin in areas of the front ring. They have a history of stretching in this area. There is also very little material to drill and tap; some are a little soft which aggravates this. As stated I like these and have used a bunch of them, but they do have those issues. They are not a blow up risk like a low number Springfield, but they are a wear out risk and also have the scope mount issues at times.

The G33 small ring 98 action is small ring receiver and barrel shank making it the clear winner here, but they never were cheap and ain't getting cheaper now!

The other small rings just aren't up to the task of the 260 Rem, in my opinion anyhow.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks I truely appreciate the replys, but I'm lost here. I apparantly know even less about Mauser than I thought. Figured finding a suitable action would be a piece of cake, but maybe I'll be better off just to snoop for a true M98 action and know I'm "good to go" huh? I was just a little reluctant to use a long action on a short cartridge in a rifle I want to be rather light to carry. I have a CZ .308 and it's a great gun but HEAVY.....

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just find a Yugo M24/47 or M48 intermediate action. They have the same action length as the small rings but are large ring , large shank actions.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Just find a Yugo M24/47 or M48 intermediate action. They have the same action length as the small rings but are large ring , large shank actions.

Best advise yet.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Or a .308 remington 700 and re-barrel it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just find a Yugo M24/47 or M48 intermediate action.

Something like this?

http://www.jgsales.com/product...217/products_id/1334

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Alvah:
Just find a Yugo M24/47 or M48 intermediate action.

Something like this?

http://www.jgsales.com/product...217/products_id/1334

That will work. Here is another: http://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-m24.html

Scroll down to the barreled action. That will save you some money.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster is right, that's a good buy.

Although slow, I've had good luck with Samco.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a WTB ad on the classified section of a Carolina shooters forum, preferring to spend my coin locally in a FTF deal if possible, but, if that does not pay off, barreled action from Samco it is!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other small ring action that no one mentioned is the Husqvarna model 1600. Do you remember the ads in the American Rifleman for the "Lightweight Husky" They have been factory chambered in 8X57, .30/06 and 9.3X62. .260 would be no problem. And they are considerably lighter than an M98 action. They are quite readily available right now, as several outlets are importing them from Sweden.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote